FARO Technologies - Ride's over. Time to look elsewhere | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FARO Technologies

"Ride's over. Time to look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Manager in Lake Mary, FL
Current Employee - Manager in Lake Mary, FL

Pros

Small company feel. lots of areas for growth. better senior management could make it an outstanding company. company has become a known source of high quality products so industry acceptance is very good. very young staff is several areas.

Cons

company grew too fast. decisions are made without thought of the consequences, usually because it's what the competition is doing. Quality has gone downhill due to some very bad decisions involving "lowest cost" bidders on projects. employees are treated as a liability instead of an asset and most long tenured employees have left the company.

Advice to Management

Think before making kneejerk reactions. Don't copy the competitions mistakes. Go back to what we do best and stop experimenting.

Other Employee Reviews for FARO Technologies

"A company in a very messy transition"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at FARO Technologies full-time

Pros

• 3D metrology is very technical and detail oriented
    • I like teaching others how to use it
    • You are well equipped with a high power and lots of equipment
    • Working out of the home is much better than driving to an office in traffic each day
    • Love going into manufacturing facilities and see how things are made as part of the job
    • You can see places few people have as part of your consultation role
    • You can have a flexible schedule to make your personal activities fit
    • You have total freedom to travel in the territory and the company pays for it

Cons

• They changed to a salary plus 3-tiered commission plan. It is confusing and you don’t have the high income potential anymore
    • Sale payday used to be very fun when we were 100% commission. Now it isn’t very much money.
    • Sales people are not remembered past todays sale. No thanks – money is their reward.
    • Money and commission opportunities are continually taken from sales instead of letting them keep it for motivation. That was our only reward right?
    • Commission system broken for many months and your pay is often not correct. It is unbelievable how many times this has happened over just the past two years
    • Pressure to sell, sell, sell – especially at the end of a quarter or year
    • Each year your territory shrinks as a penalty for sales success
    • It is not uncommon to have a product that fails and it isn’t fixed right. It effects my income and success
    • Lots of turnover in the external and internal sales team.
    • The management is constantly changing and people are confused
    • Marketing is not well staffed or helpful to the sales team
    • You have to constantly log activities and notes into Salesforce. It is not useful but very time consuming
    • Company focus on growth and expanding is leaving a customer support team that does not please the customer and processes that frustrate them

Advice to Management

• You drive the business for the stock share holder at the cost of your people. That is why turnover is so high
    • We are in this job for the money and that is about it. As you keep taking money motivation away, it becomes clear there is not much else that could make FARO better than somewhere else
    • Things used to be much better and this multi-year transition is a mess. We don’t know who is doing what. People are hating this
    • Key aspects that made this company great in the past – reliable products, great customer support and consistent sales contacts – are all declining

"In a small company, you're still just a number"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist

I worked at FARO Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits: health package, fully vested 401k, holidays are observed. Compensation is above market for an entry level position

Cons

Management seems to be stuck in time. The whole company seems to never have heard of "thinking out of the box". A lot of changes have been promised recently, but upper management did not listen to the base employees who actually know the customers and the market. Also, they lay off a lot of people just to hire more. They prefer to hire from outside rather than promoting from within. Also, if you speak a different language and use that at your job, don't expect differentials in pay.

Advice to Management

Participate in seminars, career and position refresher classes. Don't be too comfortable. The new guys are better qualified for your position than you are. Promote an environment where people will be heard and changes will happen. The culture of "I won't speak up because I need to pay my bills" has to end.