FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles - IT Manager | Glassdoor

"IT Manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Auburn Hills, MI
Current Employee - IT Manager in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large Investment in ERP projects.
Opportunity to work in different technologies

Cons

Plenty of lateral movement but no forward movement.

Other Employee Reviews for FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

"Miserable experience, unprofessional hostile environment, self-serving Sterling Heights Assembly BIW"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're knocking on deaths door and have no spine, this is the job for you

Cons

- Unspoken seniority rules among management
    - Do not question your manager's decision, even if they're making inefficient / ineffective decisions
    - Forced to double shift cover for a total of 3 weeks, no other supervisor would help me, I asked everyone. Again, seniority rules I had no reason to be asking anyone for help because I was new.
    - I was told at the hiring the job was 6 days a week 60 hours, ended up 7 days at 72 hours, my manager threatened to take me to HR and make the schedule official if I didn't like it
    - My first week on the job, a manager started dressing me down on the floor because it was my first week, it was so bad I had to ask him "Are you a drill instructor?"
    - I never got a desk, fend for yourself, make alliances to share things with other supervisors
    - Using faulty radio equipment, I get yelled at for my radio not responding
    - Over the radio for the whole shop and upper management to hear, often patronized and made a fool
    - I was once called about two cells broken down, I said "Yeah, we got X down for 23 seconds and Y down for 48 seconds", he immediately calls me over the radio that he needs to see me in the conference room "right now!" so he can cry about the way I answered his radio call. I'm confused about this as well.
    - Management severely distrust trades and production workers, This is a good way to expose the mentality of management here "employees are inherently evil and lazy, treat them as such"
    - Trades severely distrust and spite management (I didn't have issues with trades, as I sided with them), I'm sure these workers, their family and friends have had some very rough times in the past (pre-2000)
    - If you have any hint of rectitude and a spine, you'll never rise past the self-serving zombie managers
    - The managerial culture here is opposite of everything that I was taught about management when getting my MBA in Management. PLEASE RE-READ THIS SENTENCE!
    - If you're a manager from this plant, you know exactly who I am and hopefully now, you know exactly who you are (see above).

Advice to Management

The only way (this is realistic the real world way and not some empty hope) to change a deeply engrained culture is to have a "religious" experience for the workers and a completely 100% new management team of young people who know what the words respect and dignity means.

2. "Overall an excellent culture and great people to work with, yet also very bureaucratic."

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People were great and product design was revered around the industry. Although the company was going through so many changes, everyone pulled together to keep it going. Very happy to see they are doing well now.

Cons

At the time I worked there, ownership was continuously changing hands and I left as they were approaching bankruptcy. This caused a lot of anxiety with everyone in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the customer and quality.