FIS - Sub-Par Health Benefits and improper division of labor | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FIS

"Sub-Par Health Benefits and improper division of labor"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Waltham, MA

I worked at FIS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a chance to work with the latest tools, learn new things, and work with great people

Cons

Poor upper management led to frequent instabilities in the software.

Advice to Management

* Hire more business analysts to take stress off of engineers
* Hire multiple software architects who really know what they are doing
* Hire an information architect to make the product more attractive and improve user experience

Other Employee Reviews for FIS

"Employee Nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at FIS full-time

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Good work to life blance.

Cons

Managers are irresponsible and self-serving. Will use employees as excuse for poor unit performance and lay-off workers rather than change ineffective and incompetent management.

Advice to Management

Get real managers if you except actual performance and not just window dressing. Employees can excell when allowed and encouraged to. Less political infighting and posturing and more knowledge of what is actually going on within the company.

"The hard work you are pushed to do does more for the companies benefit than your own."

Current Employee - Database Analyst I in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Database Analyst I in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

The company is a fast-paced and is always changing. One day you are planning for a year end plan, the next day something new lands on your lap. There is something always changing, so never a boring moment. It is hard to make plans as priorities keep changing week to week. Most times you are forced into a situation where skills need to develop where you never found yourself having. You skill set and dependency will grow from being green to ripe with pressure in a short matter of time

Cons

The company is very business oriented, political, and bureaucratic. From a technical stand point, if you think mastering a technical skill sets or trade will protect your point-of-views, you are in for a rude-awakening. There were a lot of good talented people that were laid off. In contrast, there were also a few others that were kept and did not possess the same talent.

Over the years that I have worked as a technician, I have found that business knowledge and influence can be a more powerful tool than mastering a technical skill set. Management provides little or no direction, so you will find yourself having to do the work for them. Eventually, you may end up doing the job well enough that they develop a dependency towards you and ask for your advise. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you don't assume to be the authority on your conversations.

A suggestion I recommend, only if it benefits you, is to continue working on making your manager look good. I recommend this with caution. I have been under three different managers since I have worked with the company. All of them have a different sense of character. If you have a manager that asks for more, but lacks to acknowledge or does little for you in return, avoid wasting your time with this. You will end up doing more work than the payoff is worth.

As some of the previous comments in here state, additional responsibilities can be easily acquired. To expect additional pay or significant pay increase, the company would rather assume that the same job could be done off-shore with lesser pay. One may argue that those responsibilities upheld provided significant revenue increase. But with the direction to which the company is headed to as it has grown, its corporate ego has disregarded the voice of the employees that help build it. At its current state you are treated as a number. Perhaps the situation may change someday.

Advice to Management

FIS may currently be the leading solutions provider to financial industry. However, the situation is foreseen to change if the company continues to head in the direction it is currently taking and disregard the practices of the employees that contributed to its state of success. My advice to the leadership at FIS is to be aware of the strengths of each region, and use the talent that is offered. I think that the company has been over-sighting the cultural differences between each region and not emphasizing on the benefits and state of mind that each offers. In addition, encourage the on-shore technicians to keep an open mind to develop business skill set. I found that once a technician understands the business goal, their approach or feedback has been crucial in providing the best strategy to market.