FIS - Metavante - one of Milwaukee's better employers! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FIS

"Metavante - one of Milwaukee's better employers!"

Current Employee - Product Manager I
Current Employee - Product Manager I

Pros

There are several reasons Metavante is an ideal place to work...the Senior Management is approachable, we always put the client first, and there is work-life balance.

There are areas within Metavante that really live up to the work-life balance, and I'm fortunate to belong to one of those groups. I can work from home or take time off when I need to do so.

When I first started working at Metavante and heard Frank Martire talking about listening to the client, I thought it was lip service. But he truly walks the walks which makes you proud to know that the President expects the same thing from himself as he does other employees.

Finally, a work-life balance. I've heard from my manager about taking time away from the office and NOT answering my cell phone. They truly support employees needs to rejuvinate themselves which leads to a more enjoyable, productive environment!

Cons

Some of the downsides, like any large corporation, our size presents challenges that make us not as efficient as we could be. It also leads to the message getting lost from the top to the bottom level.

I would have to say that I am quite disappointed in the level of pay. All indications are that I'm still $14-16,000 below other Product Managers. Compensation is provided for Programming/coders and Sales Teams, but everyone else is paid not quite as much as we shoul be. It's disappointing that you're at this level in your career, but you have to work a part time job.

Advice to Management

All-in-all, I believe Sr Management is doing a good job. There are some areas of the company where communication is a gap, however, we have webinars/townhall meetings, etc. that fill those voids. We are very fortunate that our Sr Managers do step in to the process when needed. They are always very willing to participate with clients and prospects alike. Again, relationships are very important to our management team.

Other Employee Reviews for FIS

"Terrible place to work, long hours, no recognition, poor benefits, poor working conditions."

Former Employee - Systems Manager III
    Former Employee - Systems Manager III

Pros

There are no positive reasons.

Cons

Long hours, no recognition that you are doing a good job, no budget to execute mandated projects, group level executives and up have no idea how to lead technical teams - they are only interested in who to blame when something goes wrong and they'll take all the credit when things go right.

Advice to Management

Talk to your direct reports and find out their ideas on how to make improvements. Don't just cut people randomly to save a few bucks, the remaining staff will be less loyal and the skilled people will leave on their own for better companies. Lee Kennedy has no clue how the rank and file feel about the company since he's too busy taking big bonuses at the same time people are getting let go and he's too busy buying more wineries.

"Big company, but limited opportunities"

Pros

FNIS is a large company with good technology and many sales opportunities with some of the largest banks and financial institutions. If you have good technical skills or can acquire them on your own, you'll be in demand for many projects where you can exercise technical and professional leadership. Sadly, real career growth opportunities are limited, but FNIS experience can be valuable for gaining a better position in another company.

Cons

Even though FNIS is a large company, opportunities for career growth and development are pretty limited. The push to move work offshore (to India) seems to have slowed somewhat, but most groups within the U.S. seem to be slowly shrinking, with few open positions and few opportunities for promotions or movement from one group to another.

Benefits are probably slightly below average for a company this size. Pay increases are typically limited to 3-4% annually and no increases were given in 2008.

Work/life balance is generally poor - it's common for projects to assume employees will be working evenings and weekends.

Advice to Management

1) Build a sense of community within the company 2) Develop and communicate a real product and technology vision 3) communicate with the staff a lot more.