FIS - Big business in a nut shell | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FIS

"Big business in a nut shell"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at FIS full-time

Pros

The people in general are very professional and internally there are lots of opportunity to improve yourself. Starting salary was very competitive.

Cons

Constant concern for your job. The cuts often were strictly money related and though there are lots of duplicate positions, money seems to drive every decision.

Advice to Management

Remember that those lofty budget goals always end up being satisfied on the backs of people who didn't have any input. Saying everyone can improve the bottom line can only be taken serious by execs slapping each other on the back in a boardroom.

Other Employee Reviews for FIS

1. "Diverse and rewarding Internship"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at FIS as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with different departments and on different projects during my internship. I learned a wide range of skills and consider it a top tier internship program.

Cons

I dont have too many cons for their internship program. They treated us very well and provided us with all the tools and support necessary.

"Decent place if you're in the right department"

Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at FIS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance in my area was absolutely amazing.

The people I worked with have become good friends of mine, and I still keep in touch with many of them even after leaving.

It was an interesting job, where I felt I at least had a voice in my own department, even if my views and opinions often times were ignored by upper management. My direct manager actually listened to what I said, and that at least made up for some issues.

Pay was reasonable, though on the low end to be honest. They aren't willing to negotiate at all. Benefits were alright, but I never really used any of them. Perhaps this isn't much of a pro, but to me the pay wasn't really a con either. No one really feels like they get paid well enough, but I feel like they could have come up a bit more.

It's an overall friendly place, with very genuine people for the most part. I never dreaded going in to work and I truly enjoyed what I did.

Cons

Limited growth potential. Even in an area where I knew I was an expert at my job, always looking to expand my work and improve the department, management never really recognized my talents. It's quite honestly a shame because I really enjoyed my work and I loved my team, even my direct manager was a good person and easy to talk to. It's upper management that's the problem.

For long term growth, it's really hit or miss with your job. Some people find their place and grow in it, while others (most) sadly end up leaving due to road blocks.

In my area, while my direct team was amazing, our upper-level "coworkers" forced their opinions and buried us in work they thought was important, but was actually just busy-work that limited our time to do our actual jobs.

Inexplicable promotions/hiring into higher level positions. It's something I never understood there. People (not just me) who worked hard and deserved promotions were skipped over. People who really had no idea what they were doing were put in managerial roles, or promoted to a higher level. Outside talent was brought in at higher levels than those who had been working in the role for years, even when the new hire had little to no experience in the field. This is very damaging to employee morale. I understand this happens in many companies, but it seemed to be really prevalent here, which is extremely unfortunate.

The St. Pete campus really looks like a prison. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's rather depressing looking.

Advice to Management

It's been said before, but the company needs to recognize the talent it has and promote from within, with those people who actually deserve it. The company has a real shot of expanding even more, and it's on stable ground even in a rough economy. If the company fails to see the good employees it has, I'm afraid it won't be standing much longer.