FMC Technologies - My experience is really good. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for FMC Technologies

"My experience is really good."

Current Employee - Planner in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Planner in Houston, TX

I have been working at FMC Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is one of the most innovative company in the sub sea equipment manufacturing company. They promote innovation and work culture is great.

Cons

This company is really good. They don't have any cons as such. They can be more open towards diversity and adopt multicultural environment.

Other Employee Reviews for FMC Technologies

1. "FMC from an 8yr insider's perspective"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at FMC Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

First Level management and supervision are generally good. Most colleagues are good to work with and the overall environment is good. The rotational engineer program is top notch and it is a good place to get your career started. However, you may find yourself feeling like a change at the 3-5yr mark.

Cons

Mid-level management is out of touch with the engineering grunts getting things done. They do not take enough input from their 1st line management and make too many bad decisions based on metrics alone. These metrics may or may not be accurate at the time important decisions are made. These metrics lack the sophistication needed to accurately reflect the dynamics of change constantly imposed upon the engineering staff and as a result give improper representation of performance. Even worse, these middle level managers don't seem very interested in ensuring the accuracy of these metrics. Nor do they seem interested in getting out and meeting the actual grunts doing the work. Perhaps it is easier on the conscience to manage based on improper metrics if they have no knowledge of whom they are impacting with these poor decisions.

Advice to Management

Improve the accuracy of your metrics. Include all the tasks in these metrics. Get out of your office and out from behind your computer and meet the folks making you money. Listen to your first level managers and head their advice. These improvements would make life better for everyone.

2. "Great place to work with some great people. But as with any company there were some challenges."

I worked at FMC Technologies full-time

Pros

It was a great place to work with a friendly laid back environment. Co-workers were helpful and genuinely seem to care about each other. Management does have the best intentions. It was a great place to learn new skills with lots of opportunities for training and development. FMC is a global company with lots of career opportunities. Communicate what you want to do and where you want to go and they will help you get there. They really will.

Cons

Lot's of ongoing internal changes that could cause confusion and added stress. Requirements were not always clear or communicated effectively. Too many priorities with unrealistic deadlines and expectations. Continuing to add more and more hot requests with the expectation everything will be done right now would get a little ridicules at times. Honestly it's not fair to be so inflexible on a deadline. If you are going to continue to add more and more unplanned requests but are not willing to have some flexibility; how can it all be done on time? Honest question there. If you didn't finish on time it goes against your job performance metric and when your review comes up its held against you. Something has to give or you find yourself coming in early, staying late and working on the weekends just to keep up. You shouldn't have to do that. In the end you work hard and do your best but when you fall short it's going to effect your review. And that effects your pay. Those extra hours will go unnoticed. They're going to see that you failed to meet the metric end of story. While I was their, I did see some favoritism. Positions were sometimes filled with a less qualified person. It was who you know, not what you know. This didn't happen all the time but it did happen. With the Cons seeming to out weight the Pros I still feel FMC was a great place to work. I enjoyed my time with them. I had a great opportunity that I couldn't pass up and decided to make a change. There are some things that can be improved but I think you will find that with any company.

Advice to Management

Improve execution and improve your internal processes. Continued improvement is great but at times it felt like we were always re-inventing our processes. With all the priorities it's difficult to execute. Everyone was always so busy trying to get to the next priority that the one they were working on wouldn't get the attention it needed. It would have to be re-done or we would try and create a new process because the out come did not meet expectations. Slow down and fix a process then move on to the next one. Enforce your own policies and procedures. Be fair with the pay structure. There was no way to determine if you were being fairly compensated. Establish a bonus based on individual merit and performance instead of company wide metrics that not all employees could control.