FREIGHTQUOTE - Not bad if you can motivate yourself to call people who don't want to be called. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FREIGHTQUOTE

"Not bad if you can motivate yourself to call people who don't want to be called."

Current Employee - Freight Broker in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at FREIGHTQUOTE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Ramp up bonuses are great to get started

Cons

Mindless job. This is phone sales. Your talk time and call count are sent to your fellow sales team members each day as well as you daily margin. Freight Brokers have a bad reputation for bothering potential customers on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, and those calls are NOT usually welcome by potential customers. Brokers are a dime a dozen, and separating yourself from other brokers is really difficult. You need to have no problem with annoying people on the phone, getting hung up on regularly, and getting yelled at on the phone at least once a day.

Other Employee Reviews for FREIGHTQUOTE

"Sales driven regardless of position you're hired into."

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Lenexa, KS

I worked at FREIGHTQUOTE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable growth despite economic downturn.

Cons

Bad experience, dominated by a frat-boy culture with little creativity. As long as sales are strong and working in a non-intellectually stimulating environment then you are fine.

Advice to Management

Define which direction you want to go and determine what you want to be; don't dabble into areas that are unproven only to pull employees along and later layoff.

"Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic"

Current Employee - Freight Broker in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at FREIGHTQUOTE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are competitive, convenient location, decent starting pay.

Cons

Great company that management steered into an iceberg about 2 years ago and are now trying to plug the holes and keep afloat. Upper management somehow decided that the problem with the company was that it's revenue engine (the sales team) was getting fat and lazy, so they came up with a strategic plan to "motivate" the middle by instituting a financial decelerator that would kick you in the teeth by a % equal to how much you missed your quota by. Veteran reps, like me were seeing our pay ($50-$75k) being slashed by 10%-40% or more.

Well as one would expect the turnover went from a slow bleed to a hemorrhage. To stop the bleed they went on a hiring binge and continue to hire at record rates but when an average of 70% - 80% of new hires quit within their FIRST YEAR on the job I think that says a lot about the current environment. It finally seems that upper management are realizing their missteps and are back-peddling to restore morale and slow the loss of a formerly powerful and talented sales force. By their own admission if the projected turn-over rate remains on it's current trajectory the company will show a net loss of millions if not 10's of millions annually.

So the course corrections are a step in the right direction however the morale and goodwill of the existing sales force is still punch-drunk from the impact and it will take a long, long, time to repair. Humorous touchy freely employee surveys and after-the-fact round tables with the boneheads that got us into this position are a good start but we're not that dumb. Everyone knows it's motivated more out of a sense revenue damage control than it is out of good-will and management actually learning from their mistakes. I don't know if was greed, hubris or stupidity, all I know is what I see around me and hear from coworkers and managers.

The irony is that management still doesn't seem to get it or don't seem to care. Case-in-point: managements next new brilliant idea is to take an already over crowded, noisy, cramped call-center cubicle environment full of disgruntled employees and make it even worse by introducing a new "open office" environment that they are pitching as "more collaborative" with "better communication". So our new environment on the Missouri side of the state line will sport a "state of the art" India style call center with 3x the noise, zero privacy, zero sanity. Open floor, desks chairs and computer monitors shoved side by side. No family photos, no noise barriers, no place to hang a phone list or a scrap of reference material.

Plug in, make your 100 phone calls, get your 4 hours of talk time, don't take breaks or touch your cell phone (as mandated by HR policy at the whim of a grumpy COO), then go home. The company intranet promotes this as "collaboration" and touts that now rather than being isolated employees and managers will now all be able to know "what's really going on". Geeze thanks, George Orwell would be proud. Might work for Gen-Y but sorry, I'm a baby boomer and I tend to be at my maximum productivity when I'm focused and can keep distractions at a minimum. But who knows, maybe this is all by design as every corporation loves a young energetic work force and oldies like me tend to be a perceived drag on revenue - lazy burn-outs sucking up the benefits, push them out, hire a more desirable demographic.

Turn-over rates just prior to and within the 6 months after the move will prove my point. I'd bet good money on a good 10%-20% churn. Management can either act now and be proactive or roll the dice, be headstrong and react after-the-fact which seems to be their M.O. as of late. I myself and a half dozen vet reps I talk privately with are already looking and plan to vacate before or just after the move. Heck, when the top 2-3 all-star sales money makers are openly venting about how horrible this new set up will be and how much they dread this dehumanizing "open floor" concept and management plows on full-steam ahead, all I can say is "you reap what you sow, you reap what you sow boys".

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep getting what you're getting. Morale and your credibility with the front line will be zippo until you start doing more than reacting to your mistakes. Show some leadership and start with demonstrating a little accountability. I don't know which individual or individuals in upper management were responsible for this enormous strategic blunder but frankly I think someone's head should roll.

Can the Board of Directors sit by idly sit by in good conscious and let these same set of sailors pilot the ship after the direction we've gone in the past few years and given the course we're currently on? It would go a LONG WAY to restore employee morale, good-will and restore some faith in the leadership if someone was held accountable what's gone down. So far only the front-line employees seem to be baring the brunt of managements poor judgement and decision making.