FTI Consulting - Good challenges, excellent work environment, but needs to keep focus on what needs to be done | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for FTI Consulting

"Good challenges, excellent work environment, but needs to keep focus on what needs to be done"

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance in the unit I working. Work truly based on delivery and not simply showing up at the office (from what I heard, though this was not true of all offices). Good compensation, and very reasonable benefits. Worked with a really skilled and fun group of people.

Cons

Trying to find a way to grow within the company was becoming an issue. The cross office politics can become annoying at times and affect moral and productivity.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the mission and vision of the company, don't waste precious time and energy bickering or sticking to some arbitrary rules just for the sake of sticking to the rule even when it does not make a whole lot of sense.

Other Employee Reviews for FTI Consulting

"Horrible Place To Work - I Did It For The Money"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only two pros: It's a global company, so you have the opportunity to travel to other offices and they pay a lot. But make sure you get a high salary upon your day of employment because you'll be damned if you get a decent raise afterwards.

Cons

Otherwise, I worked for five years in D.C. and NYC in Strategic Communications and it's a bloodbath.

Nobody helps you -- you better have your own connections to get accounts. You have to eat what you kill and it's all about office politics. You have to align yourself with the right clique or you get destroyed. The right clique will then "feed" you clients here and there to survive until you get sure footing (at least one year).

Most new hires are spit and chewed out after two years, their demise was always imminent. There's so much turnover, it's unbelievable. People live in constant fear of being fired while the upper management spends thousands of dollars on dinners, limos and such for themselves.

There aren't any stock options and the "benefits" are a joke. They're like every other mediocre company.

It's very mercenary. The only way you get any job security is if you land a big account -- like $75-100k/month and praying that one of your managing directors doesn't steal your accounts.

BTW, your managing directors steal your accounts. You work hard to land it -- do all the pitching -- and they "transfer" it to themselves, thereby getting credit for it.

I earned my keep and got the heck out of there as soon as I saw a good opportunity. There's no work/life balance (I used to work on weekends). It's just not worth it.

Also, I saw a colleague of mine get fired even though she had the highest amount of billable hours and always receive positive reviews. Turned out her new boss didn't like her and dropped the guillotine.

It's ruthless and no place to work unless you like a good battle.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't read this, so why bother? They're going to polo and tennis tournaments. Also, I love the fact that FTI had their team clean up Glassdoor with fake reviews, because it was awful.

"Depends on what you are looking for..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well; good benefits; longevity of position if you work hard, are dedicated and committed; promotes within; there are some good people who work for the company, for the most part.

Cons

Rigid corporate environment; "old boys club" mentality; work/life balance practices need improvement; office politics make the environment toxic.

Advice to Management

Improve and "freshen up" the culture to make working at FTI a more pleasant and appealing experience for its employees.