Facebook - Busiest but most rewarding time of my career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

"Busiest but most rewarding time of my career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

- Working for a product that's changing the world
- Working alongside brilliant people
- Casual dress!
- Amazing benefits (food, PTO, laundry)
- Lots of nice people
- Celebrity encounters almost weekly (Oprah, Katy Perry, Tyra Banks, Obama)
- Everything you do has a direct impact on the company's success
- FB really tries to be a fun place to work
- Despite the cons below, this is the best, most rewarding and memorable job I've ever had. I would do it all over again.

Cons

- Long hours
- No clear path for advancement. I'd been told I'd get promoted if I achieved xyz. I achieved xyz with flying colors, and still no advancement. Despite being a top performer in my group, I was not promoted once in nearly 4 years.
- Great PTO plan, but difficult to get time off. Often you're made to feel unpatriotic to the company if you request a whole week off. One manager actually told his team they could only take long weekends.
- The Mach 5 pace is exhilarating, but maintaining that pace 24/7 takes a toll. Several people I know developed heart issues from the constant stress.
- Terrible middle management. Very out of touch with their teams, only looking out for their career.
- Questioning company policies or products is frowned upon. They want you to drink the KoolAid, versus have a constructive discussion.
- In my group, promotions were given to unqualified people simply because they were buddies with the manager. It was very much an old boys club.
- Too many meetings and interviews. I spent a solid 7 hours a week in company/team meetings, and another 3 hours a week in interviews. That doesn't sound too terrible, until you realize the massive workload given to each employee.

Advice to Management

- Promote from within, create more transparency with promotions
- Encourage employees to use their PTO - we work hard, we need to recharge.
- Encourage employees to speak up and question product design or policies. We may have new perspective. It doesn't mean we aren't still 100% dedicated to the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Facebook

"It is a wonderfully rewarding place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The direction of the company is innovative. The people are smart. The projects are challenging. The benefits and compensation are great.

Cons

I don't believe there are any major cons to working at this company. I plan to work at this company for a long time.

Advice to Management

Keep moving the company in the direction that you are moving it. In 50 years we will be able to look back on the work now and be proud.

"Learn to swim or you will sink"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

My coworkers are the smartest people I have ever worked with. They love their jobs and they work hard. But they keep a balance in their lives.

Also, the management team is a group of good human beings. They really want to harness the power of what they've created to accomplish something they believe in. They know that if people across the globe can connect - good things will happen. And they have.

Cons

It can feel very chaotic, fly by the seat of your pants, always on the go. It's growing so quickly it's hard to tell who owns what project etc.