Facebook - Structurally & Strategically Impressive, but Culturally Immature | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

"Structurally & Strategically Impressive, but Culturally Immature"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Palo Alto, CA
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I will give credit to fb, that when I first started, I was very impressed with how organized and efficient they seemed. Everyone did their job, everyone worked hard, and everyone deserved to be there. The first I could say for any organization I have worked for.

The free shuttle is great - the drivers are nice and professional! The food is delicious and healthy. You have no excuse for eating poorly, because you always have healthy options.

Cons

It didn't take long for me to realize what should have been the obvious. Facebook culture is largely superficial and materialistic. Now this may be more prevalent in my department, but I think it's fairly standard for the company. In my first days, I met with each person on my team and made an effort to learn their communication style and how I could support them. I even scheduled follow-up meetings to address any concerns. Each week my manager met with me and gave me vague, negative feedback, but never gave me any positive feedback. The criticism never felt constructive. I asked if I could be given specific examples of what I had done wrong, so that I could improve, and none were given. Instead I was given adjectives of my personality to describe me in a negative light.

I was let go, and again given a vague explanation. Only that I had done nothing wrong. I saw at least 5 other people in in my department get let go (who were good performers) simply because they didn't fit right with the team. I tried very hard to be accepted, but felt I was not given a chance. This company cares more about how popular you are than how much work you get done. Even though I often stayed the latest, it did not matter because I was invited to less parties, happy hours, etc. and did not partake in celebrity and colleague gossip.

Advice to Management

Encourage people to be themselves. Having a more reserved and professional demeanor is NOT a bad thing. Take the time to get to know individuals for their uniqueness. Offer concrete feedback, and highlight what your employees have achieved as well. In general, treat people with respect and worry less about how much other people like you. I think fb could do better if it felt more like an office at times, and less like a sorority/high school/summer camp.

Other Employee Reviews for Facebook

"Best company ever"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Facebook has the most open culture of any company I've worked at. Smart people (I know people say that about other large companies, but the caliber of Facebook is MUCH higher). Great food ;) Best place to work bar none.

Cons

Freedom is given to the individual, which is great when the individuals have vision (which is orthogonal to talent), not so great when they are doing random things.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Facebook is AWESOME!!!

"Moves fast, breaks things."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* High impact job, each change touches millions of people
    * High ownership, there's too much to do
    * Smart people to work with
    * Great food and perks
    * Low management overhead
    * Lots of interesting problems to work on

Cons

* Long hours, hard work can be exhausting
    * Very chaotic, plans can shift quickly, you have to be very flexible
    * Other than that, nothing else