Facebook - It feels more like home than a job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

"It feels more like home than a job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The ratio of employees to customers is still large enough that everything you do has impact
- Employees are trusted with working on what's important without the need for constant overview
- Everyone is smart, but rarely feel the need to prove it.
- The amenities allow us to focus on our work, and also make us feel valued. Plus not having to go grocery shopping in eight months has been nice.
- The campus really does feel like a home. This is the first job I've had where I really am glad to head into work and actually get disappointed when I see how quickly the day goes by.
- The managers are very technical capable, and know when to manage and when to step back.

Cons

- The size of the company makes communication a little harder, and it's more difficult to get to know people who you don't normally work with.
- Conversely, there aren't enough employees to have people working on whatever pet project they want. The work they do has to have as much impact as possible (but the hackathons are a good chance to work on those pet projects for a bit)
- Too much beer

Advice to Management

Facebook is a great place to work because it feels more like a group of capable engineers all trying to build a project together, rather than a hierarchy of workers. As the company grows it is important to use that as an opportunity to do more exciting projects instead of having more people work on the same projects.

Other Employee Reviews for Facebook

1. "Software engineering intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Small team, intetesting task, good work place

Cons

need good knowlage of internet technologies for good work process where

Advice to Management

improve orientation for noobies

"A good way to jumpstart your career"

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Facebook has a lot of awesome people working there to solve interesting problems at scale. They have over a billion active users a month and a lot of smart engineers working to keep their software great. The benefits and pay are obviously great, and since it's a well-known company it's a good place to start if you're looking to get recognized at other tech companies and startups.

Cons

If you're looking to solve "new" problems and build new things, Facebook is probably not the ideal place for you. They occasionally work on new features but a lot of work is put into improving or rehashing what they currently have. This is what I spent most of my time on while I was there. It was still pretty fun though.

Facebook sometimes claims to be startup, but it's not in most aspects the average software engineer would be concerned with. While engineers do have access to a lot of information and code, the company is too big for one person to have a major impact on product or engineering decisions.