Facebook - Make an impact, we have a long way to go | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

"Make an impact, we have a long way to go"

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Internet Marketing Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talent - I came from working in tech in Boston and this is a standard deviation increase in talent. Projects are run by PMs who really know what they are doing with a strong skill set in strategy, engineering, data driven decision making and user experience.
Strategic direction - Money truly is a means by which we can achieve the mission to connect the world. There are tons of bold bets and we seem to have a good balance of reacting to the marketplace and maintaining focus on executing with blinders when necessary.
Opportunity - There is so much work for really anyone to come in and make. With such rapid growth, there are bound to be mega bugs or missed opportunities ripe for fresh eyes to come in and recognize immediately.
Culture - The company values are genuine and you really do get the feel that you are working on something bigger than yourself. Getting to hear from and ask questions of Mark each week really helps makes sure everyone is in the loop and feels heard if they disagree. You are never "out of line" for thinking big picture or questioning strategic direction and it is in fact encouraged. There's also a ton of young people so it is great to meet friends, especially if you live in SF.

Cons

Time - There are amazing perks like really quality free food all the time, a gym on campus with a basketball court and large playing field, shuttles to SF and surrounding areas but I often find my coworkers and I spend less time on that fun stuff that you might expect. There's just so much work opportunity because you are expected to be driving on projects rather than just doing what you are told so you could theoretically work all the time and its up to you to stop that.
Company maturity - Like all fast growing companies, there is a natural curiosity around "how much better would things be for me if I had joined earlier?" because there would have been ever more responsibility and financial potential. Both of those things are still really high but it does raise the natural question of it would make sense to gain the skill sets to understand what makes Facebook work and then consider working somewhere smaller with more financial upside.

Advice to Management

I had high expectations for the company management and they have far exceeded them. The whole management team seems incredibly focused on building a great company, making decisions based on data, hiring and retaining top talent and making a few bold bets with acceptance that some of them will fail.

Other Employee Reviews for Facebook

1. "Really great place to work!"

Current Intern - MBA Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - MBA Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meals and snacks, $100 off your monthly gym membership, fluid entrepreneurial organization, supportive culture

Cons

Lower salary than some tech jobs from comparable companies.

"In-crowd or out the door"

Current Employee - Online Operations Associate in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Online Operations Associate in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits like free gym access, meals, snacks, bonus money for having kids, etc. Great technology to work with. Talented engineers create inventive tools that enable non-technical staff to do their jobs with ease. Genuinely nice and honest people can be found in every team.

Cons

From what I've seen in my time on multiple teams here, managers come in from different companies, take over teams, hire their own friends primarily from their previous companies, and then give the promotions to those people in a very short time. You may spend years hearing praise for the work you do, but it's never backed up with promotions. Also, this is not a good place to work if you are at all introverted, value family life more than work life, or prefer to work a normal person's schedule. If you are in a non-technical role, you also have little chance of seeing any kind of career advancement. Large divide in pay between people on the same teams and little transparency into the payment and growth processes.

Additionally, most employees share a highly liberal political stance, which drives the culture in a mostly positive way, but it also requires that everyone agrees with the mindset. Those that have differing values can expect to feel ostracized.

Finally, the treatment of vendors and contractors (including facilities staff, janitors, kitchen staff, security guards, and receptionists, among others) by employees can be staggeringly disappointing, embarrassing, and offensive. There is so much of a sense of entitlement upon employees that many seem to view others as second-class citizens.

Advice to Management

Recognize people for their hard work more than how close of friends they are with you. Listen to people that may offer criticism for the way things are run even if it is not the most popular view.