Facebook - Smart, boring people and no balance. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

"Smart, boring people and no balance."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are smart, and the scaling challenges are great. Where else does your code impact a billion people? The compensation is amazing.

Senior management are generally amazing people, smart, visionary and compassionate.

Cons

The focus on measuring means anything that can't be measured is ignored. It's easy to measure someone's ability to code on a whiteboard. As a result, the coders are much better than nearly everywhere I've worked, but that's it. Social skills and personality can't be measured. As a result there is no one here you would ever be friends. The internal surveys bear this point that people don't have friends at work. Similarly for managers, they are selected strictly for their technical ability. Again, they have zero compassion. In my time being here, I've never once felt like anyone cared if I was here or not. Not once has anything positive ever been said. It's really astounding.

Recruiting does an amazing job at making candidates feel wanted. That feeling disappears the moment you sign. After that, you have no manager or anyone who will care. You'll go into bootcamp where you'll have a "mentor". His role is to continue to do his job while counting the number of lines in your diffs to make sure you can make progress with no assistance.

After bootcamp, you'll have a manager who operates in the same mode. They are interested in the technology and not the people. To them, you are a resource to be maximized. They will tell you everything you need to do to improve, but never once say "good job". In boot camp, I kept meeting these amazing, visionary dynamic managers. I know realize they were the exception. Those people made me love Facebook during bootcamp, but that feeling wore off quickly once I interacted with the average line level manager.

Plus, beware of the reviews here. Recruiting will tell you point blank that they curate these reviews. The reason FB has the highest rating is because someone internally has a goal to achieve certain star ratings on this site.

Advice to Management

Start selecting people for human relationship skills and focus less on pure technical ability.

Other Employee Reviews for Facebook

"A heaven for an engineer!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I moved here from a larger stable company where I was also working as a software engineer, and I have just been wow-ed! Apart from the amazing perks, I work with a set of very dedicated, determined and intelligent folks, which is really the best part of working here.

- Co-workers are mostly rockstars!
    - Lots of resources to learn - 7 months into my job and I feel I am already a much better engineer.
    - Lots of importance on what YOU want to work on, versus what your manager thinks you should work on. You can freely talk to your manager and find an intersection between your interests and the company/product needs.
    - Everything is automated (again by rockstar teams), and processes are made as simple as possible.
    - Great pay, stocks and bonuses.
    - Amazing perks! Lots of food choices, great campus, regular team happy hours with great food, and the list goes on and on.

Cons

- Work-life balance almost 0 on weekdays! I spend the entire day working/thinking about work. But that is what I was looking for. Weekends are upto you - most people do not work.
    - Lots of process changes in short periods of time - so you are constantly climbing the learning curve. But this maybe specific to the product I work on.

"Nice place to work. Interesting problems."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice fast paced culture, that encourages folks to take risks.
    Smart set of co-workers.
    Nice perks. Laundary, food, loaded micro-kitchens, pay etc etc.

Cons

Can be a little haphazad.
    Managers are promoted in-house, and sometimes they can be inexperienced or not very good.
    Timelines can be aggressive.