Facebook - fine | Glassdoor

"fine"

Current Employee - Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

great product, great benefits, great colleagues

Cons

incompetent managers are the downsides of FB.

Advice to Management

follow the google management rules and stop hiring incompetent middle management from google

Other Employee Reviews for Facebook

"The toughest job you'll ever love."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

In general, there is a high level of autonomy given to employees. We're treated like adults and given lots of responsibility. The perks are unreal compared to other places I've worked. The atmosphere is fun yet serious. We're very lucky to work here overall.

Cons

A stretched thin workforce makes for lots of pressure and heavy workload; it's hard to get everything done. Sometimes it's difficult to strike a work/life balance. There's a clique-ish aspect to the place, where the "cool kids" get the recognition and more opportunity to move around and advance.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job strategically. I'm happy with the overall direction of the company and our products. I just wish there were a little less favoritism shown by middle management.

"Very competitive work environment but not accurately advertised as such"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

-Opportunity to write software that gets used by hundreds of millions of people
    -Opportunity to see how a successful company is run
    -Opportunity to launch often
    -Potential IPO

Cons

-Frontend work (i.e. work done in most of the product-oriented teams) is mostly mundane PHP and nothing that really intellectually challenging from a Computer Science perspective. (Backend may be different but I never tried that.)
    -Potential to get judged too quickly for performance. They are less willing than other companies to let you try something different which may be a better fit if you are not performing well enough on your current project.
    -Chaos that may hurt you--you may start out on one project but be expected to do something else for no good reason, that may not be the best fit for your skills.
    -Some managers are too busy to give useful frequent feedback.
    -I get the impression that they manage by a bell curve, but are not not being transparent about it.

Advice to Management

Be absolutely honest to new hires about where Facebook stands in the spectrum between 'severe' and 'forgiving' for performance reviews, especially when you let new engineers choose their initial team, so that they can choose their teams carefully and pick a project they know they will do well instead of just one that catches their interest but is not necessarily a good fit for their experience and skills.