Family Dollar Stores - Ready to Progress | Glassdoor

"Ready to Progress"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

On hand experience as well as availability to online learning. There is plenty of growth potential with lots of locations to relocate if needed.

Cons

Payroll hours are not sufficient enough to properly run the stores. Shrink and theft are major issues and the general public knows that there may only be 2 people in the entire store and how to steal from it without running the risk of getting caught. They also do not invest enough into their stores to properly minimize shrink.

Advice to Management

You have to invest money to make money and that is true of any company. Family Dollar included. Stop trying to pad your own pockets and put that money back into the day to day operations of the stores. Your employees would be a lot happier with proper help and proper hours available instead of feeling like they have been whipped by the time they are done with their shift.

Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

"Upper management sucks"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

I still have my job.... I can work overtime due to no managers, but it gets to be a point that they need to hire.

Cons

Work a lot of hours.... The prior DM's would give us direction and then follow up with us and coach and train. RVP thinks that everyone can be replaced and just smiles when he tell us that he will take our keys.... New DM is not aware how to do her job and they have not completed visits like the old DM we had did and share the information. Even old RVP was pleasant and listed to our concerns and didn't think bad about us.

Advice to Management

Get real the last person did a lot of work to get shrink and losses under control. Inventory season is just around the corner we are all shrinking out and you have no body to blame but yourself for the way the district was managed during the transition of the new DM.

"Mixed Review from HQ"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Growing discount channel.
    Reasonable work/life balance in many (though not all) roles at corporate.
    Great place if you are looking to have one job for 30 years - you might not get promoted, but you probably won't be fired either.
    New leadership hired from outside has potential to change the current dynamic.

Cons

Sr. Management wants everything on the cheap - people, real estate, technology - consistently expecting big returns with little to no investment. Annual pay increases are tiny, regardless of performance. No culture of talent development. Highly political environment. Total compensation is generally marginal to poor.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate compensation plans and talent development. Give business managers the resources they need to get their jobs done. Make fact-based, customer-driven decisions versus basing business direction on personal preferences.