Family Dollar Stores - Do not work here | Glassdoor

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH
Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are only two pros. First would be that there are some amazing people in this company, especially at the store level. Second would be that there is a great opportunity for advancing.

Cons

The flip side to a pro is that you need to be careful what you wish for. I went in as an assistant manager with a goal to become a store manager in 6 months. I met that goal. I was given my store, inner city of course, with absolutely no training or support beyond what I learned as an assistant, and the pure luck that I was close to my former store manager. I was robbed twice in my first week. Each time I was required to fire the cashier that was robbed. This left me severely understaffed. After 3 weeks of non stop work (52 hours is the minimum, 70+ is the norm), I took a day off. I got a phone call from my district manager yelling at me for taking a day off when the store wasn't perfect. To help clarify, when I took this store over I found food on the shelves that had expired 6 months prior.

So I stepped down voluntarily (It wasn't even to the point of me being asked to step down). I decided I wanted to move and called my DM to discuss transferring. I was told I was on my own. After a month of getting the run around from different stores I left this company.

Other issues I encountered. While I was there I was told by loss management to find a reason to fire a cashier because he was once fired from another job for "theft of company time". I asked my DM what this meant, and was told "no one is perfect, there is always a reason to write someone up". We were constantly told that we were replaceable, and were often indirectly told to get rid of people because upper management didn't like them. A regular quote was (you need to get rid of people or I will have to come in and find a new manager who will). Their punishment is inconsistent purely based on how management feels about a person (I was replaced by a manager who was stepping down because he spent the weekend in jail for theft...notice how this is only met with requiring the manager to step down, whereas I was told to fire a cashier for scratching off a lottery ticket (theft of company time) at a job he had several years prior.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in rules and enforcement. Do not treat your employees as if they are all criminals. Help your employees, whether it be through training, or in transferring. Happy employees provide quality work. Unhappy employees talk crap about you and let everyone know how miserable they are.

Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

"worked 60-80 hours 2 1/2 yrs with only one other key holder"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Amityville, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Amityville, NY

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

dm'sweren't too bad you could at least talk to them

Cons

no help, messy, long hours, no advancement

Advice to Management

better pay and more payroll

"Horrible Company....worse decision I ever made"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Brockton, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Brockton, MA

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros for this place

Cons

They expect managers to work 6 days a week...54 hours....but your lucky if that is all it takes for you to run your store. Assistant managers are nothing more then key holders....you only have one or two of them....no supervisors.....so with 14 opening and closing shifts you do the math when someone needs time off.....but upper management doesn't care. Hourly employees are paid minimum wage and forget about raises. Standards for receiving freight are absolutely ludicrous and unachieveable. Hours are not sufficient to run a store and provide customer service. The company is actually losing money because of this....one register, 10 people in line....atleast half of those people are going to think twice before they come back....but your in the building alone because your cashier is on their break so you can't open another line....and oh, btw, now someone just spilled laundry detergent all over the floor......also there is no employee discount and full time people only get TWO holidays per year....Easter and Christmas.....what is that!?!

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, you might be surprised at how much more money you could make. What you have shown is that your store level staff don't matter....if they don't bust their ass for you then you'll just replace them....rule by fear....that seems to be the attitude from your DM/area managers up.....not a good look