Family Dollar Stores - You can do better... | Glassdoor

"You can do better..."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Macon, GA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Macon, GA

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were perks to hving this job???

Cons

A lot of stress and tearing down from upper management...

Advice to Management

Understand that employees need PERSONAL time..

Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

"Simply the worst company I have ever worked for..."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were second to none. They worked hard for me and I made lasting relationships.

Cons

You as a store manager are expected to work 6 days a week, upwards of 60 to 70 hours. You are expected to unload a 1500 piece truck with only 2 people in under 2 hours. I usually made it close to the time, but most people can't. Most of the stores are in rough areas, with high crime rates and depressed areas. They put the safe right up front. I was robbed 7 times in 3 years working with the company. I had guns pointed at various body parts including my head. I was injured in one of the robberies and had my rotator cuff torn. They have no compassion for your family time and if your injured and have to have surgery. They expect you to work injured. I will be 10 percent disabled for the rest of my life because they would not adhere to my Dr's limitations. They constantly look for ways to fire your associates. They don't give raises to their best employees until it is time to lose them. I trained new store managers. They gave me the laziest, meanest and grouchy people to train. Even after I said they wouldn't work out, they said well you trained them the best you could. They ran the stores into the ground, so we had to go clean them up after a few months. I ran a very clean and profitable store. My employees were happy as well as the neighborhood enjoyed my store. Just because my arm is permanently disabled and I can't work 60 hors a week anymore, they took me off the schedule and said they would find me another job. They never called me back and the only reason I knew they let me go was with a letter from my insurance company saying I was cancelled. Simply cowardly!

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and treat them right. Give them raises and give them more than 1 day off.

2. "I need motivators & responsible employees to keep me going."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Copperas Cove, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Copperas Cove, TX

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To invest. And learn while time goes..

Cons

The company doesnt have a good training opportunity. They should make more classes, trainings, especially for the assistant manager, and the managers. And review what needs to be done from monday to sunday.

Advice to Management

Never demand an employee, and be fair.