Family Dollar Stores - ONE OF THE WORST EMPLOYERS I HAVE EVER WORK FOR! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

"ONE OF THE WORST EMPLOYERS I HAVE EVER WORK FOR!"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What I like about Family Dollar was the customers are nice (most of them). Great Health Benefits and strong sales company. Easy to move up to management stay in a management position for a lease a year and you can get any job with better pay.

Cons

Very low pay ($9 an hour) for assistant store manager and working 20-35 hours a week. No lunch breaks, no or little vacation time, and no employee discount. I was attracted by a former employee and what did family dollar do.........nothing. They do not care about their employee's safety at all. I HAD 7 RETAIL JOBS IN MY LIFE AND FAMILY DOLLAR IS THE WORST EMPLOYER I HAVE EVER WORK FOR AND KNOW.

Advice to Management

Better pay for management. Better security. Better payroll.

Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

"Area Manager"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Odessa, TX

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent, the people are great, and there is a lot to learn in distrbution. You can move up here without a degree. So if you are a hard worker that goes noticed on the team member level.

Cons

was promoted to an area manager after being a team member for 5 months. I thought I would recieve some training. Nothing. I was thrown out on the floor and expected to be perfect. I was constantly getting yelled at for nothing and had to work really long hours. Sometimes I would be there for 15 hours overnight. I worked hard for that company and felt like they just wanted to break me. I left there many days in tears and stress out.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage. You have lost a lot of good people because of the way you treat them. People don't liked to get yelled at everyday. Listen to ideas, just don't dismiss them.

"Family Dollar Nightmare"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thorough training provided, pay is decent

Cons

Unsanitary work environment, rude and disrespectful management, do not provide lunch breaks(even on 8-10 hour shifts) or 15 minute breaks unless you are a smoker, management stands around eating while ringing up customers, text and answer cell phones on sales floor, no form of loss prevention, unorganized, overall nightmare!