Family Dollar Stores - Area Manager | Glassdoor

"Area Manager"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Odessa, TX
Former Employee - Area Manager in Odessa, TX

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent, the people are great, and there is a lot to learn in distrbution. You can move up here without a degree. So if you are a hard worker that goes noticed on the team member level.

Cons

was promoted to an area manager after being a team member for 5 months. I thought I would recieve some training. Nothing. I was thrown out on the floor and expected to be perfect. I was constantly getting yelled at for nothing and had to work really long hours. Sometimes I would be there for 15 hours overnight. I worked hard for that company and felt like they just wanted to break me. I left there many days in tears and stress out.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage. You have lost a lot of good people because of the way you treat them. People don't liked to get yelled at everyday. Listen to ideas, just don't dismiss them.

Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

1. "Good place to start!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, MA

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good company to start with, you get a lot of experience from the ground up and can work your way up in the company very quickly.

Cons

As a Store Manager you must push 3/4 of the freight yourself and if your older that can be very hard to do, sometimes the help is not very reliable for showing up and the staffing is so low there is no one to call in, also they tell you that you will work 52 hr a week but you end up working 80 to 90 hr because of under staffing of the store.

Advice to Management

Let the Store Manager be the store manager not the stock boy, hire a stock person who's only job is stocking (not cashiering) 40hr a week and you will see a BIG improvement. Give more responsibility to the Asst. Manager. Have hiring and training stores in every area, then sent the person to their store, (McDs) methods. works very well.

"Family Dollar Nightmare"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thorough training provided, pay is decent

Cons

Unsanitary work environment, rude and disrespectful management, do not provide lunch breaks(even on 8-10 hour shifts) or 15 minute breaks unless you are a smoker, management stands around eating while ringing up customers, text and answer cell phones on sales floor, no form of loss prevention, unorganized, overall nightmare!