Family Dollar Stores - Changes are not always good | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

"Changes are not always good"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company does not have any debt. Prices are reasonable. Stock is well replenished. Customer service is a stressed standard.

Cons

Profitability has decreased. One of the reasons is because the company sells cigarettes now which do not generate a profit. The company keeps cutting hours in the stores which not only is unsafe due to an employee working alone for about 4 hours a day but also removes the ability to "manage."

Advice to Management

There are too many "chiefs," Reduce some of the upper management and reinvest it into hours for staffing. Do not sell cigarettes which do not belong in a store called "Family."

Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

"Stressful environment"

Former Employee - Analyst in Matthews, NC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Matthews, NC

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with
    Get your hands into many different things

Cons

Disorganized
    No vision
    No respect for employees

Advice to Management

Treat employees better. Invest in them and you will get more back.

"current store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you do a good job and you have a good inventory you basically run the store by yourself. I enjoy people and enjoy what I do so I do like my job very much. You get to teach your staff how to become a good manager and it is nice to beable to help others move up. The prices are good and I like to provide my customers with a better quality of life by running a discount store.

Cons

If you have a good dm, which I do, your job is enjoyable as long as you don't have a life outside of work, you don't mind working 12 hours without a break or ever sitting down and you don't mind being the accountant, loss prevention person, plumber, computer technician, stocker and cashier. The corporation top leaders make an incredible amount of money while giving cashiers and managers as little as possible. Payroll hours given to run a store are insane. If you get hurt good luck with the people I've seen hurt on the job you would be better off keeping your mouth shut and get your own doctor.
    The corporation has taken over ordering and you now cannot get the inventory you need in your store. I've worked here for almost a decade and never ran out of products my customers needed. Now I cannot provide what my customers needed.
    I am alone in my store for more than half the day and I do feel unsafe sometimes. I know my boss cares about my staff but truly I think corporation has to stop hoarding all the profits and make the stores safer and less stressful to work in.

Advice to Management

Listen to your manager's inventory needs they know their customers needs. Give the stores enough hours to safely run their stores. No one should ever be alone in their store. Your wages should be competitive to other stores in each neighborhood. When 15 year olds make more money than your assistant managers are paid it is very disrespectful to ask them to work as hard as they do for peanuts. Since everyone at the top makes incredible money they should reflect on it is all the people underneath them that get them their money.