Family Dollar Stores - Family Dollars is a decent job to have. good work environment,and good employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

"Family Dollars is a decent job to have. good work environment,and good employees"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rochester, NY
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love meeting the new customers around the neighborhood,they became regulars

Cons

I disliked chasing shoplifters it wasn't in my job description but I still manage to do so

Advice to Management

Tighten up on security

Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

"What's a home life"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Associates you work with and most of the customers

Cons

There is virtually no home life working for Family Dollar. As a manager you are required to work 6 days a week and a minimum of 52 hours per week. Doesn't sound bad, but the 52 ends up 65 to 70 hours per week because the hours for the rest of the crew are at a minimum. Most of the stores only have 5 to 7 employees including managers so if someone is sick the manager ends up working for them. Most stores are open 8 am to 10 pm. Most of the time the opening manager is alone from the time they get there until 11 am or noon, but the work load isn't reduced. Bottom line is it is a very non caring company and I haven't even talked about the high theft and unsafe areas the stores are located.

Advice to Management

The 52 hours per week is not a problem, but the 6 days per week is. You need 2 days just to get things around the house done and a little rest. I'm to the point where I need to choose between my wife and my job and there is no job worth that. Is your family important to you? If you said yes, then remember ours are important to us too.

2. "Great place to work if you need some cash, don't mind manual labor, and look for a better job once you're hired."

Former Employee - Order Filler in Marianna, FL
    Former Employee - Order Filler in Marianna, FL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Competitive pay. Friendly upper-management. Friendly co-workers (out of 500+ people, 10 might be unfriendly). Production pay.

Cons

Poor equipment. Work environment works against you. Poor retention. Dangerous work environment. Departments don't try to work together like they should.

Advice to Management

Plan the work schedule better and try to have more effect on what is decided for your facility on a corporate level. Alot of the issues you face are ones you can stop from ever occurring. I also feel that it's unfair of you to ask so much of your workers when you know that there are several factors hindering them from meeting their Argent goals. Especially when those hindrances are ones you are more than happy to ignore. Remain friendly and close to your workers. Your attitudes and the way you treat your workers like friends or equals is probably the only thing keeping most people there.