Family Dollar Stores - Back door rep | Glassdoor

"Back door rep"

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time

Pros

Was flexible with time and good coworkers

Cons

Timing did not fit schedule

Advice to Management

Please increase pay

Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

1. "Work in the Distribution Center on the non-conveyor belt side. Operate a PIT vehicle in pulling three pallets at a time."

Current Employee - Bulk order Fillar in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Bulk order Fillar in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The over time is time and a half and given out each week. Management is very keen on listening to employees feedback in pulling merchandise. The Break rooms are very relaxing and resourceful in dealing with a stressful day.

Cons

No A/c or Heat IN THE WAREHOUSE. no unexcused absences. Must consistently keep a close eye on merchandise pulled when operating the PIT equipment.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on order fillars assignments.

"Family Dollar is What you Make of It..."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, being able to write your own schedule, creating meaningful relationships with your staff and customers, gaining experience in many aspects of retail - inventory management, human resources, asset protection, etc. The opportunity to make decisions for your store whether it be hiring, merchandising, etc. is wonderful and really makes you feel successful at the end of the day.

Cons

The company does not put the focus on or allocate resources for maintenance upkeep in stores. There is too much of a battle to get things fixed. Otherwise, I have no complaints. Payroll is tight, sure, but if you take the time to build the right team and create a fun working environment then it is fine. When I took my store over sure I put in several 60-70 hour weeks to get the store up to snuff and build my team. Today, I never work over 52 hours a week and do it in 5 days. It is all about how you write the schedule, maximize your time in the building, and stop complaining about the work that needs to be done and just do it.

Advice to Management

Take more time to really get to know and invest in your store teams. Also, put yourself in the customer's shoes and take a look at what many of the physical conditions of our stores look like. It is not pretty. Invest in regular store maintenance and take care of the stores we have before opening any new stores. Hopefully these things will change once Dollar Tree comes in.