Family Video - Great part time, full of lies in management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Family Video

"Great part time, full of lies in management"

Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training)
Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training)

I worked at Family Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Cheap/free movie rentals
-You get to see them before the public
-If you can tell colors and know your alphabet it's really easy

Cons

All they do is lie. I applied for a pt postion, and got recruited to be a manager-in-training. I went into the MIT program with the promise of (starting out at) $30k + 1% of the store's sales, relocation anywhere in the country I chose, fast opportunity for promotion to dm, and a great training program that takes 3-6 months (usually 4).
- It turns out that you can make UP TO $30k with bonus- usually you don't,. salary was average $24,500 for a 55 hour work week
-Chances are you will not get relocated somewhere else in the country, but whatever benefits your boss, and you have no say in it.
-The training program was horrific. completely unorganized and it usually takes 6-9 months. you are told to read a binder, then asked questions. you never get hands on experience. I never knew anything more than the part timers.
-The manager only hired frat boys and hot blondes.
-I was made to drive 1 1/2 hours, 2 hours, and 3+ hours to work in other stores- never got paid for mileage, drive time, etc... a 12 hour day was paid for roughly 6
-When I called them out to other employees about how they lied and then criticized the training program/manager/dm for lying, poor hiring processes, and general overall lack of being taught anything, i was fired. The excuse? I came to work with wet hair.

-They "teach" you that they can fire anyone at anytime within 30 days for no reason at all, then brag about how they never have to pay unemployment for wrongful termination
-I learned more about the family history of the owners/founders than I did how to manage a store
-I worked in a hostile work environment where employees would not speak to me for an entire 8 hour shift- no one in management cared, much less discipline- and I was supposed to be their boss
-The customer is given anything/everything they want- you are taught that day 1. But if you have too many discounts or freebies (to make customers happy), you get disciplined

Advice to Management

Do not lie. Tell your people straight up what to expect. Maybe pay them a little bit better, so you don't have to lie.
LEARN PROPER TRAINING. Being trained to run a store out of a binder with no proper hands-on training is not ok. How can one run a store when they only know the founder's history.

Other Employee Reviews for Family Video

"Run the opposite direction!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Get to see new releases before they come out
    That's about it!

Cons

Advertises non-existent management job openings to lure potential employees in, then pulls a bait & switch once employment is accepted & leads you on until you figure out you were mislead.

No breaks--that is if you don't smoke (sneak out to smoke). This leaves the non-smoker to stay with the store since the store cannot be left unattended.

Must be "on call" to come in (yes, like a highly paid doctor) & help a few hours 2-3 days a week (& normally won't end up calling you in. But, you can't make any other plans) with no compensation.

Routinely VIOLATES other wage & hour laws by making you CLOCK OUT to do company business on YOUR on time & using YOUR own car/gas WITHOUT compensation.

Must wear polo style shirts with dressy pants or khakis each weekday & dress pants, shirt & tie on weekends (yes at a low budget video store) while only paying you minimum wage.

30-day performance appraisal/raise/promotion never given as told when hired.

Also, if a customer has a bad day & comes in irrate to complain about something & you do what you are told to do as company policy, you can get unjustly fired the first time it happens if the company policy didn't make the customer happy. In other words, you take the fall for the company's policy to make it look to the customer like you did something to compensate them.

Discrimination between female & male employees when assigning duties to those in the same job position.

Must be a _ _ _ kisser & pretend you are something you're not to be believed or stay there or get ahead. Just doing your job, working harder than others, & taking all the crap they dish out isn't enough. And don't even think about complaining about anything even if justified or you'll get fired & they'll trick another unsuspecting sucker to believe all of their hype.

I could go on & on.....

Advice to Management

Double check what your managers/asst. managers report to you. Some act differently around you than how they act when your not around. Also, if they feel their job security threatened by a promising employee, they might just try to sabotage them/betray their confidence in order for them to look good/better.
    Don't expect $15/hr.+ performance/appearance, etc... if you are greedy enough to only pay minimum wage. No matter what a person is paid, they deserve the same respect as you do.
    Fulfill what you say or DON'T SAY IT AT ALL!

2. "Consistently Inconsistent..."

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Great co-workers, decent benefits, fun work environment, growing company provides opportunity for advancement, good commission structure, free movie rentals rock!

Cons

Not a great work/life balance (at salaried management level), no breaks (means eating at counter in full view of customers). Certain members of upper management very biased and inconsistent in treatment of employees.

Advice to Management

Offer more kudos when performance is good, treat everyone fairly and consistently (will entail removing blinders and/or rose-colored glasses in many instances, not just doing away with pre-conceived negativity).