Family Video - Overwhelming process for a simplistic sales position | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Family Video

"Overwhelming process for a simplistic sales position"

Former Employee - Never Given A Title
Former Employee - Never Given A Title

I worked at Family Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great family environment. Very relaxed so long as all job duties are completed on time.

Cons

Uncertainty with the schedule, they do not notify you if there are changes. The hiring/training process is similar to a boot-camp rather than being engaging and friendly.

Advice to Management

Be more selective about the employees hired. Too many employees request off too often.

Other Employee Reviews for Family Video

"Overworked, underpaid, get the experience and get out."

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your district manager you have a lot of control over your store. You get experience in many different areas of management since they expect you to do everything.

Cons

No breaks, long hours, overworked. You don't get paid much and after a year and a half on the job I found out that managers don't get raises. They didn't tell me this at the beginning but alluded to the fact that it would be possible. The only way to make more money is to go to a different store. I moved twice and got tired of it.

Advice to Management

Get control of your regional and district managers. Each district is ran like a separate company. I wanted to work for the company I saw in the monthly promo videos, not the one I felt like my district manager had created.

"As a manager be prepared to be overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, decent district and regional managers. Great place to work for hourly workers. Fun environment.

Cons

You are required to work no less than 44 hours per week while the store is open. As a salaried store manager I typically worked 55 hours a week (which was less than several other managers in my district). If you want to move up in the company you must be willing to relocate (whenever and wherever home office wants to send you).
    As a manager you pick up all the slack. Since they only have one or two people working at once, if someone doesn't show up for a shift, you have to work their shift in addition to your own hours. If the store is over on weekly payroll you either have to work someone else's shift or be understaffed on the weekend. You are typically too busy to go to the bathroom let alone have a 15 minute break the entire day (which lasts close to 12 hours two days out of the weekend).
    There is absolutely no work-life balance. You have to be 100% committed to your store. You can't make plans, especially on the weekends because you typically have to stay over your 12 hour shift to make sure customers are taken care of. Hard to make vacation plans- if there is no one to cover your hours then you have to cancel your vacation. If you get sick it is nearly impossible to find someone to cover your shift so sick days are typically out of the question. Managers typically only last for a couple of years before they get burnt out.
    Since video rental is a dying industry I can only imagine they will continue to exploit managers in order to turn a profit.

Advice to Management

Start treating your store managers like people and not machines. Don't allow 12+ hour shifts and have at least two people working during the day so managers can actually take a break during their shift.