Family Video - whish i would have just kept looking | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Family Video

"whish i would have just kept looking"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lawrence, IN
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lawrence, IN

I worked at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-getting to see movies before they hit the streets
-good for extra cash if you're a student or something

Cons

-very impersonal management
-low wages
-rude customers
I was fired for two "reasons". One, after being trained in 20 mins to close the store at night, I made minor mistakes the first two times closing by myself. Two, during customer service scenarios, my manager gave me a rediculous scenario in front of our regional manager. He said that I "over explained myself". I was told before these scenarios that whatever happened would reflect on the manager and not me. This was a lie.

Advice to Management

Senior management does a good job. The store obviously has a good format or it would be out of business.

Other Employee Reviews for Family Video

1. "Overwhelming process for a simplistic sales position"

Former Employee - Never Given A Title
    Former Employee - Never Given A Title

I worked at Family Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great family environment. Very relaxed so long as all job duties are completed on time.

Cons

Uncertainty with the schedule, they do not notify you if there are changes. The hiring/training process is similar to a boot-camp rather than being engaging and friendly.

Advice to Management

Be more selective about the employees hired. Too many employees request off too often.

"Overworked, underpaid, get the experience and get out."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your district manager you have a lot of control over your store. You get experience in many different areas of management since they expect you to do everything.

Cons

No breaks, long hours, overworked. You don't get paid much and after a year and a half on the job I found out that managers don't get raises. They didn't tell me this at the beginning but alluded to the fact that it would be possible. The only way to make more money is to go to a different store. I moved twice and got tired of it.

Advice to Management

Get control of your regional and district managers. Each district is ran like a separate company. I wanted to work for the company I saw in the monthly promo videos, not the one I felt like my district manager had created.