Family Video - Decent Company | Glassdoor

"Decent Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Family Video part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, Decent Pay with commission opportunity to earn more, liked employee empowerment, business casual environment, family orientated employee

Cons

Everything Depends on the Store Manager, inconsistent hours

Advice to Management

Find a way to control each store more, Use Social Media more, Inform Employees with changes

Other Employee Reviews for Family Video

1. "Short, pointless, and misleading."

Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training) in Flushing, MI
    Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training) in Flushing, MI

I worked at Family Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Because of their high standards for hiring you are working with people who actually do their jobs. For the MIT program the pay is decent, and the training could prepare yiu to move on to something better.

Cons

First of all, they contradict themselves, telling you you're doing well when you're actually not. They require only the most positive attitude you can imagine. The work is very slow, very tedious. On a Friday, a busy day, the store manager was stressed about having a line of 4 people. You get no breaks, and as an MIT I had to work two ten hour days back to back, which is a little exhausting if you can't sit down and eat something. The entire store felt dirty. They never clean the rental cases, and after reshelving returns, your palms are covered in this black grime.

Advice to Management

When you interview someone, explain to them that you will fire them based solely on their personality. I am a naturally shy person and this has never stopped me from providing great customer service. I left a secure job for family video, which I had no reason to believe would not be just as secure. Now a week later due to me not being quite as outgoing as they though I woul be, I am jobless. It really destroys my impression of a company when they lead people on and then fire them for not having enough in common with other employees. If anyone had mentioned this policy in the interview process I would have passed on the job. Thanks for being so patronizing, completely wasting 51 hours of my life, and setting me back financially in such great economic times.

2. "Lots of good memories, but in the end very little loyalty."

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with some great district managers, and managers. Every day was different. Benefits, and compensation was fine.

Cons

Most of the districts drive quite a few miles each day, so it would have been nice to have a company vehicle.