Fandom - Best employee I've worked for | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Fandom

"Best employee I've worked for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great, startup-like atmosphere
- challenging tasks
- developers have a lot of independence and power to make decissions

Cons

- a lot of projects are done in PHP, which is not the state of the art
- late working hours in European offices (HQ are in San Francisco)

Other Employee Reviews for Fandom

"Leader"

I have been working at Fandom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The scale at which the company projects to grow in 2018 was reinforced by how it closed out 2017, which was on a high note. One of those was adding video as a major component of the product offerings in 2017, another was the addition of the mobile app so you can take your FANDOMs with you were huge for the company. These two initiatives alone propelled the company forward and I feel very good about the prospects of FANDOM's future as it moves from a digital content platform to more of a media based platform.

Cons

Like any company experiencing growing pains, you need to have the right mix of people to move the organization forward. Hiring the right talent, retaining the right talent and sometimes having make hard decisions and move on from talent already within the organization. It's not easy to keep the morale high when teams see colleagues leave, regaining trust that decisions made were done for the benefit of the company are hard to do and must be done over time. Keeping lines of communication open are key for any company.

Advice to Management

Transparency, Q&A sessions during all-hands, even if the questions are gather beforehand, they need to be answered.

"Fast-Evolving Company and a Fun Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Though there were difficult transition periods, 2017 has been a great year for company growth. We're continuing to evolve into a media platform, and our company-created content in both editorial and video continues to improve. 2018 is looking extremely positive.

The best thing about working here is the people, and it's what's kept me here for so many years. If you take advantage of social opportunities in the office then you'll find not only great co-workers to spend your days with but great friends. I've made many very close friends at this company. Any difficulties that come along with the job are made worth it by that.

Cons

Executives often focus on the importance of individual team cultures and while that's an important aspect of management, they should also make sure they are keeping their eye on overall office culture as well. The SF office morale was hit hard by 2016 Q4 layoffs and while it has recovered, it still has room to grow. Encouragement and even social participation from the senior team is important.

Advice to Management

Most company growth is on the Content and Sales side. Product and Engineering are doing an admirable job with limited resources (the redesigns to wikis and editorial in 2017 have been fantastic), but management should take more steps to ensure that these teams have the resources that they need as we continue to evolve the site in 2018. In my experience most people with lower morale in the company are from the Product and Engineering side and I believe that the resource gap between their teams and the Content teams is a big reason why.