Fannie Mae - Conservatorship Sucks | Glassdoor

"Conservatorship Sucks"

Current Employee - Project Manager II in Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Project Manager II in Herndon, VA

Pros

Good benefits, particularly for retirement (I'm under the "old" plan with a pension)

Cons

We're in conservatorship and really don't know what the future holds. Will we be eliminated, re-badged under a new company name? Will our jobs be outsourced (probably)? Will our pensions still be around after we are "unwound"? I've gotta say, I never saw this coming. It's a scary time at Fannie, but the benefits are hard to let go of in such an uncertain economy. Golden handcuffs.

Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae

1. "Arrogant Executive Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Good benefits (critical ones are no more available...)
    Work locations (NATIONWIDE)
    Good cafeteria
    friendly coworkers (at least most of them)

Cons

Excessive Red tape
    Too many regulatory work requirements kills creativity
    Biased management that only believes in extracting that most from direct reports to impress their supervisors

Advice to Management

Accounting issues that crippled the company since 2004 should have only impacted executive management. Unfortunately, employees (below manager level) are paying the price for mistakes made by CEO, etc.

2. "Since US Govt.conservatorship, management has become restricted in it's ability to make the daily tactical decisions."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Reston, VA

Pros

Above avaerage compensation and benefits.

Cons

Management no longer empowered to manage day to day tactical operations. All decisions must be made at the top level. This often results in an untimely delays, and or in no decision being made. This has a significant negative affect on morale at all employee levels. Promotions are more often than not performance related.

Advice to Management

Good leadership mandates that you communicate from the top often and or daily. Silence feeds the rumour machine. Promote your performers, as they are who get measureable results. Strictly enforce all written corporate procedures, and swiftly and harshly deal with all violations. Failure to do so creates anerchy and fear at all levels. You must operate transparently in the open, and not from behind the curtain like The Wizard of Oz..