Fannie Mae - Great people to work with but not a lot of room for growth in HR | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

"Great people to work with but not a lot of room for growth in HR"

Current Employee - Recruiter I (Operations Coordinator) in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Recruiter I (Operations Coordinator) in Washington, DC

Pros

Benefits are good, people are great.

Cons

Too bureaucratic and regimented. Some managers are good about work/life balance - others are not.

Advice to Management

Get to know some of the employees in the trenches.

Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae

1. "Overall a great place to work except it is in consrvatorship"

Current Employee - Manager Applications Development in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Manager Applications Development in Herndon, VA

Pros

Good career opportunities, decent management and overall good focus on using technology to enhance business.

Cons

In conservatorship, lot of house cleaning going on in IT side, big push for outsourcing, the IT department will end up being much smaller than what it currently is.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and lay down the strategy for future.

"Great Outward Appearance, but Inner Environment is a Disappointment."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Fannie Mae offers great benefits that include paid volunteer hours per month, telecommute options, a great 401K contribution plan, drink machines throughout the building that include hot chocolate, coffee and teas, pantry rooms, okay cafeterias, shuttle buses, and competitive pay.

Cons

I've worked in two different departments; Single Family & Credit Risk (both very essential departments to the organization). The environment has remained tense, and the morale is nonexistent. Although there is paid volunteer leave, it's looked down upon if you decide to utilize this benefit each month.

Employee Town Halls are filled with political b.s. and they always start off with "Fannie Mae is helping homeowners and we need you to help us do that..." yet they do major layoffs at least once a year.

Despite the attractive benefits, Fannie Mae is an extremely political environment. I've noticed very few smiling faces walking down the halls. I would not recommend this environment for open minded and creative individuals.

Advice to Management

Much of what we do is on the Internet, yet managers are hesitant to allow you to work from home. Stop holding Town Hall meetings if there is nothing of value to say.