Fannie Mae - Paid well, but I had no idea how to move up. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

"Paid well, but I had no idea how to move up."

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Herndon, VA
Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Herndon, VA

Pros

Salary and Benefits
Ability to work remotely

Cons

Hours required to work
Lack of clear organizational structure

Advice to Management

Upgrade your sytems so they communicate. Too much manual entry in multiple locations.

Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae

1. "Once Great Company Managed into Oblivion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Great benefits, good work / life balance, can be rewarding if your immediate manager is doing well and promotes / rewards within the team.

Cons

Govenment conservatorship dictates severe downward spiral. System development life cycle has ground implementation schedules to a halt. Poor executive level management.

Advice to Management

Get rid of everybody that thinks the current System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) is a good idea. Attempt to retain the few seasoned employees that are left.

"Good Subculture within a Sclerotic Culture"

Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II in Washington, DC

Pros

If you can find one of the highly motivated groups within the company, you will be surrounded by people who are intellectually engaged, genuinely want to do the right thing, and can have fun together.

The benefits are also pretty nice, especially the housing subsidy if you're going to be there for a long time.

Cons

It can be difficult to find necessary information, unless you're one of the people who have been around forever and know whom to call.

Some parts of the company are not highly motivated, and are a drag on the rest of us.

Advice to Management

More important than having leaner processes, we badly need to have faster processes. We talk a lot about "providing value," but until we're willing to prune our policies to match what we're actually willing to enforce, we will continue to be a nightmare for some lenders to deal with.