Fastenal - My experience was moderate but my department wasn't typical and I have heard better things about other departments. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

"My experience was moderate but my department wasn't typical and I have heard better things about other departments."

Former Employee - Part Time Support in Winona, MN
Former Employee - Part Time Support in Winona, MN

I worked at Fastenal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work was easy and the people were very nice and flexible.

Cons

Monotonous work, no room for growth in the department, feedback is generally ignored from lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Make bonuses be performance based as opposed to by hours worked. Take suggestions from employees more seriously. Increase pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal

1. "a great opportunity to learn business and sales"

Current Employee - General Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

decentralized managment, great sales resources; distribution, various sales support, interaction with manufacturers/businesses, ability to make a difference in your own branch, good upper managment support

Cons

pay is average, a poor branch manager can create a stagnant experience for the outside sales rep underneath them

Advice to Management

some of the small tweaks that they make to pay program, attempts to improve corporate margin are not fair to sales employees, not well thought out

"waste of two years - would not recommend"

Current Employee - Overtime Without Overtime Pay in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Overtime Without Overtime Pay in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unremarkable - Getting out of the house? Not being on welfare? This job helps you learn to manage money well?

Cons

This has to be the only place you can get a promotion, be put on salary, and make less (they move employees to salary to avoid overtime laws) - The GM of our store was physcially assaulted he is such a great guy (by a former employee) Employees cannot figure out what their leave is and they are charged for medical benefits that are useless. I had a family member that worked there and she was terminated because she had a resume out. The place is run like a democracy, what a bunch of pigs!

Advice to Management

Get a clue. I would not invest my time or money in this company. Your prices are not even close to competitive and you hire the biggest dummies to keep expanding on your busted model. This is where you review that business life cycle and consider cashing in your options if it is not too late.