Fastenal - DC - machine work | Glassdoor

"DC - machine work"

Current Employee - General Warehouse - Picking in Denton, TX
Current Employee - General Warehouse - Picking in Denton, TX

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is an honest job.

Cons

Repetitive work; tiring, boring, lonely, sometimes stressful. They frown upon teamwork and you don't get a break. It's incredible tedious and physically intensive. Most likely permanently messed up my back but it got me through college.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who know the correct way to micro-manage and avoid the turnovers. You get what you pay for, deal with it.

Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal

1. "Great work experience, covering numerous aspects of business"

Current Employee - Sales Support in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Part time pay, job security, co-workers. Great experience for anyone looking for part time work, they expect you to stay with the company and when you perform well you are rewarded for it.

Cons

Low starting salary with limited advancement in Full Time. Either way the company is straight forward and does well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the same

"It's just not what they say it is. Simple as that."

Former Employee - In Store Sales Support in Westerly, RI
    Former Employee - In Store Sales Support in Westerly, RI

I worked at Fastenal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The store is run however your manager decides. You may get a truck and gas card. Lots of training which you will probably never have time to do, and no one cares if you do it or not. You will learn quickly what kinds of places are going to be run like this quickly. If your savvy you can get rusted items that are supposed to be disposed of for scrap if you ask.

Cons

It's hot , its cold, things don't work, our A/C was turned off due to poor performance, and we worked off of space heaters in the winter (when the breaker didn't trip). Upper management is laughably insane. You may end up spending your days calming down angry people on the phone and cleaning up after a slob, who likes to go fishing on work hours. You will be left to your own devices when you have questions, cell phones don't get answered a lot. Your job description won't really matter. As in store support I was driving around begging for business from people who never heard of us, because they don't advertise. Our store also had a bad reputation before any of the current employees where there, which led to some people totally distrusting us, period. Days would go buy in store and no one would come in, or people would just wander around and buy nothing. We were also instructed that we didn't sell to the home owner and not to waste time with them, because, you know, word of mouth doesn't matter or anything, right?

Don't be shocked if you end up helping a store hours away and not be compensated for your drive, because you took a company vehicle. Your upper management may make sexist, and down right offensive comments when out of ear shot of public, about you or them. I mean, really offensive,even as a guy. BUY A GPS or suffer badly as you will be driving to many locations, some of which aren't even established on a GPS yet. Eventually you will realize unless your area is an industrial sector you will be at the mercy of one or two major accounts, and smaller businesses won't really be interested in you because they discounts don't work right for smaller businesses, which you will pester constantly until they literally tell you to leave.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people with one description then have them do something totally different. Don't go tell people they are going to be terminated every week because we can't sell your miserably overpriced products. The vending program confuses people, especially in more rural areas or smaller businesses. If you don't work on commission, frankly no one cares about your sales numbers, especially when the store is 94ºF and someone just spilled juice all over the keyboard.