Fastenal - Good Experience | Glassdoor

"Good Experience"

Current Employee - Sales Support in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Sales Support in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job to have in college. Gave me a broad understanding of distribution. Gained experience in receiving, sourcing, quoting prices, placing orders, delivering products, customer service, and retail. No doubt that this led to my first internship in supply chain.

Cons

7am starts are not fun while in college. Other than that, it really depends on your general manager, and there is a high turnover rate. I worked for three GMs in one year... some I liked working for... some I didn't.

Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal

"One of my favorite jobs but hated the pay check"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Skill Development in many aspects of the business. For someone starting out, this is an excellent company to work for to gain your skills and experience! I learned how to sell, and am now a very good salesman. I had two great store managers to work for out of three while I was at Fastenal. They have some great people in their organization that a person can gain a lot of knowledge from.

Cons

High expectation of output with low compensation. I felt like I was giving them my all, but didn't feel like they were willing to do the same back. The pay was salary + commission, but I felt like the commission percentage was far too low. It was also fairly difficult to figure out exactly what you were going to get paid. They had a very odd calculation with many different factors in it to figure out your paycheck.

Advice to Management

Pay the people for the work you expect out of them and raise your commission. Pay a little more attention to your people and less to your shareholders.

2. "More ups & and downs than any roller coaster ride"

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging, you WILL stay busy if your motivated. Great insurance, they provide you with a company truck to make sales calls. Rapid promotion if you have a good head on your shoulders. A lot depends on who you work with. Has the potential to be the #1 industrial supplier in the world.

Cons

Never get paid for all the hours that you work. Corp keeps cutting back labor to the point that it hurts business. Commission requires that you grow at a crazy rate, which is prevented in the long run because they always keep the stores short a employee.

Advice to Management

Invest in your stores and watch how fast they grow. You're missing out on huge opportunities because customers see that stores are too understaffed to handle large needs.