Fastenal - Great experience | Glassdoor

"Great experience"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is okay, great job for a college grad or someone looking for a good structure. A lot of branch and district managers are supportive and helpful, you can really advance if you put effort in.

Cons

Depending where you are, advancement opportunity may not be as easy as in other locations with a lot of stores and growth. Also, not all branch or district managers are good at their jobs.

Advice to Management

Reinstate bonuses for sales growth, stop following the statistics so much, the company was built on hard working individuals who weren't watched by hawks. Back up and give the osp's some more space to do their jobs using methods they find successful.

Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal

1. "Excellent Company, Great structure"

Former Employee - General Manager in Summerdale, AL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Summerdale, AL

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, support, and guidance from corporate employees is second to NONE for my work experience. Especially rare to find in a "large company" fellow peers really seem to care for the company and for each other.

Cons

The only slightly questionable part of my experience I suppose is that I would have appreciated higher pay

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, and MAYBE, just MAYBE hire me back soon!!!! I miss the people and the company

"Building Block"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great relationships within my branch.
    -Great experience learning how to sell B2B from maintenance, purchasing agents, up to president's of large companies.
    -A lot of autonomy as far as which customer's will be called upon and how you will sell them.
    -Opportunity to sell a solution. Our Fastenal Vending machines are very unique in the way we stock them and without an actual contract being signed.
    -Opportunity to manage a book of business like it was your own.

Cons

-No advancement opportunity in my area
    -50 hour work week minimum. Note: Working only 50hrs per week(salary) you will not be successful by your 2nd year.
    -Turn over. I'm the longest standing member at my branch @ 2.5 years.
    -Pay. Base pay is $2200. $2200/4(weeks)=$550 per week. $550(per week)/55(hours per week)= $10/hr.
    Note:Granted there is commission ranging from $400 up to infinitive per mo. depending on revenue and vertical growth. But, most likely $400-1200/per mo. in commission is the norm.

-55 hours per work week isn't just selling. You are the salesman, the counter clerk, the receiving department, product procurement, vending machine filler, and the accounting department when your sales go past net 30. Wearing multiple hats is an understatement.

-Too many directions and those directions are constantly changing. Our new president is returning the company to more simplicity which is a good thing. However, we are still pushing several agendas at once.

-No appreciation for a job well done. You sold the highest $ amount in the district in our bounty promotion in August? Cool. But, why can't you do it again in September?

-Guys, in conclusion.. this company is made for someone out there who graduated high school or college and wants to work really hard without looking at their opportunity cost. This company will wear you down with their frequent questionable decisions and lack of appreciation.

Advice to Management

Not going to waste any more energy.