Fastenal - General Manager | Glassdoor

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Trenton, NJ
Former Employee - General Manager in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are only a few... As a general manager at Fastenal you are exposed to every aspect of running a business. To be successful you must be able to manage your sales team, manage your part time employees, manage and grow your book of business, be able to collect money from past due accounts, contact vendors and create purchase orders, run the retail part of the business. Some of the people I worked with are good people, others not so much.

Cons

MARGIN?!!!?! It is a mystery as to how your commissions are calculated. A phrase I heard a lot at district and regional meetings is "Smoke and mirrors". I had the pleasure of having a district manager that had no idea as to what he was doing. He was almost impossible to reach when you actually needed him. Another con would be that weekly the parts you have ordered from the hub either arrive damaged or dont arrive at all. Micro managing is huge in this company. Nothing is ever good enough, you could have record sales and margin and the bosses would find something else that could use improvement. Was never recognized for any accomplishment. Also, dont give your employees a box full of junk food for a "Christmas bonus". To be honest I'd rather have nothing. Just a POS company.

Advice to Management

Pay your people better. You get what you pay for... If you only pay your sales reps and GMs a low salary, compared to competitors, and dont have a defined commission structure you are going to have a high turnover. Which the company doesnt seem to care about because this issue is never addressed. And when it is brought up the answers given are shallow and they try to get off that subject quickly. When your company is bringing in record sales numbers for the month and quarter, dont give us a towel.

Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal

"Avoid like the plague unless you are in a highly industrial area"

Former Employee - General Manager in Newport, OR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Newport, OR

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

General Managers can make a decent living if they have a large branch (over 100K month). Those aren't nearly as common on the west coast where Fastenal hasn't been around for as long. GMs can run the branch as they see fit without a day-to-day DM looking over your shoulder. You will get training to know industrial/commercial products.

Cons

Pay is not good if you are not a General Manager. GMs are expected to work 50-70 hours per week, weekend, before and after hours, whatever the customers need. High sales goals expectations. Fastenal is known for being the highest price in any market which can hinder sales. Fastenal has EXTREMELY HIGH TURNOVER. It is the #1 complaint from customers that they have a new salesperson every year. You will be fired very quickly if you don't meet the set goals and your superiors will forget what you did last month (even if you had a great month). A very "what have you done for me lately" attitude. Corporate is too disconnected with branches.

Advice to Management

The 50K bonus to help lower level branches should be reinstituted. Many branches are not in highly industrial areas and it isn't fair that branches in highly industrial areas can work half as hard and produce 3 times the sales of smaller branches.

2. "Too corporate"

Former Employee - Sales Support in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Fastenal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, learned a lot about the fastner industry

Cons

The company is too bureaucratic, my hours were drastically cut even though my boss loved me and wanted to give me more hours. Once the decision is made from Winona, MD to cut part-timers, there is nothing you can do.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach: decentralized decision-making