Fazoli's - Ordeal by fire | Glassdoor

"Ordeal by fire"

Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

Very reasonable hours for the fast food industry. Decent medical benefits. You can get a decent starting salary if you hold your ground. A good niche market in a very competitive industry. A lot of burger, chicken and fish places out there. Very few Italian places. A lot depends on the franchisee of your stores when it comes to advancement and quality of training and support.

Cons

Spent about two or three weeks in formal training in which I scored very highly and then was dropped into a store only to find out how much I had not been taught.

Advice to Management

More thorough traing is needed. Ask what might improve things from time to time. It isn't always about new menu items which result in old favorites being replaced which frequently creates guest disappointment. Try doing exit interviews when employees quit. You may learn something.

Other Employee Reviews for Fazoli's

1. "Not to Bad"

Current Employee - Associate in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Temple, TX

Pros

Fun people to work with, easy work

Cons

The pay, and getting messy

Advice to Management

Theyre alright

"I had an overall good experience working at Fazolis within the store, but corporate was not good experience."

Former Employee - Associate in Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Associate in Richmond, KY

Pros

The store I worked at had a great management team as well as associates. I love the people I worked with including the managers. If it were not for them, I would have never stayed at Fazoli's for as long as I did. The management team was very helpful and worked along with the associates as if they were one of us most of the time. They respected our needs and concerns and helped us to the best of their ability when we had problems with changes by corporate, who did not seem to respect associates as much. They worked around my school/personal schedule to the best of their ability and always helped me find someone to work when school activities arose, personal/family issues conflicted with my work schedule, or if I became ill. The management team also praised us for our hard work and effort that we put into the restaurant and that made it a much better atmosphere to work in. Most of my fellow co-workers worked very hard and as team to get things done and food out as fast as possible. The food was also delicious and with the 50% employee discount you could not get anything better for cheaper!!!

Cons

I have worked at other fast food restaurants and Fazoli's was by far one of the worst places I have ever worked. As I stated in the Pros section if it were not for the people that I worked with I would have never stayed there. Like with most jobs you start out at minimum wage, but unlike other companies I have worked for and heard about from other people who have worked in the restaurant business raises were almost never given even though it was stated in the employee handbook that you would receive them. This is considered a fast food restaurant, but many of the entrees cannot be made fast and customers did not understand this. I realize there was no way around this on the companies part, but I feel like it should be more of a sit down restaurant with something like "curb side" to go orders instead of a drive-thru so that customers do not feel as if they are waiting to long for there food. With the type of food Fazoli's has and the different prep processes and cleaning procedures that have to be performed, I never felt like I was truly compensated for my effort and hard work that I put in while there. It was a hard job and a lot of the food prep and cleaning task were very time consuming. After minimum wage was raised to over $7 I was a little more happy with my pay, but I felt as if (and was actually told) that I was one of the best associates at my restaurant and my paycheck never showed that. The corporate of Fazoli's was about one thing and one thing only, which was making money!!! I understand that a company must make a profit, but the corporate office must also realize that you have to spend money to make money!! We worked very hard to please our customers at the store I worked for, this showed through how busy the store was, and customer appraisal, but we were not even allowed one free meal a week after working hard to make money for our restaurant. There was always something broke or water leaking from somewhere in the back of the house, yet there was never enough money to fix this, but if it were something the customer could see it was fixed right away. For example, the heating air conditioning never worked properly in the back of the house and at one time the air conditioner went out in the front of the house where customers sat and it was fixed the same day. I felt as if the corporate office did not care about their employees at the in store level and never respected our needs and concerns. This was one of the only employee concerns management could not help with. If we as associates were concerned about water leaking or a drain not working, the managers could not do anything about it, because corporate would not approve the money to get these things fixed. Another great example that shows the corporate offices only concern was to make a profit was that when I first started working at Fazoli's all sauce pans were lined with a thin garbage can type bag, and half way through my employment there, we stopped doing this. When associates questioned why we were no longer doing this, the answer was, "To save money." These bags were at the most a few cents each and not only did it take more labor to clean the pans after each use, but it was much more sanitary to line them with the bags. Not everyone took the time to wash dishes as well as myself or other co-workers and this sometimes left the pans improperly cleaned. There was hardly ever enough people to efficiently run a shift because managers had to watch labor closely which was dictated by corporate. People of the corporate officer were hardly ever even in the store to see how many people were actually needed to successfully run the restaurant. They based labor solely on money profit instead of the need for more employees to efficiently meet customer needs. Of course our restaurant always successfully made the customer happy, because we worked very hard for our in store managers who appreciated work and who also many of the times worked off the clock in order to meet labor requirements. Fazoli's in store management were great people to work for, but the corporate office simply does not care for their employees.

Advice to Management

I think the in store management of the Richmond, Ky Fazoli's did a wonderful job of running the store. They were great role models and leaders to all of their employees and I do not think I could give them any advice to help them do a better job, as they are already great at what they do. On the other hand I think it would benefit corporate greatly to take into consideration the needs and concerns of the employees at the in store level.