FedEx Office - Not enough pay for the stress. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FedEx Office

"Not enough pay for the stress."

Current Employee - Team Member in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Team Member in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers including management become like family. Very positive and nice people to work with throughout the company, not only in my center. Decent Benefits including lots of sick and vacation time. Good core companies values. They value your ability to be personable and empathetic to customers. It's difficult to get fired. You can slack off and no-one will care.

Cons

Where do I start? Most importantly, the entire company is basically lazy. They focus on "big picture" corporate standards, numbers, goals, etc. But then sweep everything else under the rug! All the smaller problems (which are what larger problems are made of) that team members deal with throughout their day to day is completely ignored. And when you mention the problems to management, even higher up mgmt, even HR, nothing is done about anything! Everyone wants to "pass the buck" and no-one is held accountable for anything they do wrong. This is great if you just want to slack off and you don't really care about your job. THIS JOB IS PERFECT FOR SLACKERS! But if you're the kind of person who wants to do a good job at work, to figure out ways to make things better, or if it's important to you to do things in a LOGICAL MANNER, then you will hate this company. I have complained about the way things are done so many times and nothing was ever done about it, that I am now basically worn down. The laziness/ lack of accountability finally rubbed off on me. And now when the millions of things that are done wrong happen throughout the day, all I can do is sigh, roll my eyes, and get on with my day. I started out with tons of motivation, ready to be great at my job. But now I hate it! And I haven't even mentioned yet how the customers are the worst customers in ANY industry! And I used to be in food service, not even hungry people are this bad! Basically people who know nothing about technology in general come in and want you to hold their hand through EVERYTHING. Whether it be sending a fax, sending an email from their own email account, designing their flyers from scratch (which we are not even supposed to do cuz that's graphic design and they get paid WAY more than we do), or mailing a package, EVERY customer wants their own personal team member to stand by and do everything for them. And they get angry when you suggest that they use the self service area to do it themselves. I'm sorry but there's no way we can hold each customer's hand for an hour while answering emails and phones, running Jobs, editing ppl's files, cutting stapling and binding booklets, and everything else in between simultaneously with only 3 people behind the counter and a line of people waiting! It's a super-human job that is impossible! Oh and did I mention we get paid the same as any simple retail store. It's just not worth the pay.

Advice to Management

Address smaller problems, not only numbers and goals. Hold people accountable for their actions so the problems can be fixed. Reward team members who are are doing their jobs well so there's a difference for people who are doing it properly versus those doing it poorly! It creates incentive to not be lazy! What a concept! : ) And put more employees on the floor in busy centers so that more customer's' hands can be held.

Other Employee Reviews for FedEx Office

1. "Good Benefits.........."

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment is hectic but provides training. Very good benefits and you can advance if you put in the hard work.

Cons

At times too much change which can lead to confusion. Some of the managers have a selfish attitude which can be a negative on team chemistry.

Advice to Management

Managers remember where you came from and treat your employees like you want them to treat our customers.

"Over 10 years at Kinko's/FedEx Office"

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, 401K. Co-workers who want to help customers and work hard made this place bearable. Opportunity to learn many software packages.

Cons

FedEx is one of the most respected companies and brands in the world, however, they have no idea how Office fits into their company. There is no mission statement for FedEx Office other than the unofficial motto of "cost cutting" and "save money." Micro-management from the very top levels of the company (area vice-presidents and regional directors) is heavy handed and the prevalent method of how to do business, from which paper trays to use and which printer drivers to use to produce customer projects, is driven by people who have no idea how to make the products team members are asked to make daily. These decision makers are more concerned with metrics and measuring how you produce a product and could care less if the customer is satisfied with it. As a team member, you are expected to utilize two different point of sale systems, a preproduction software package, plus all of the native programs customers utilize to create their documents and you are expected to do all of this within a very narrow range of parameters and for $10 an hour.

This is a custom manufacturing job shoved inside of a retail environment. It doesn't matter if you put together 35 customer files and produce a $2500 job for the center if you don't sell a product of the month (batteries, screen cleaners, over-priced flash drives, or a ream of paper). The pricing structure is geared to force customers to the front counter for full service help rather than encourage customers to complete the work themselves. Once a customer figures out that it is cheaper for them to have a team member complete the work for them they naturally utilize full-service printing. $.11-.&.22 per print versus $.49 for self-serve prints drives customers to the front counter and when you can't sell them a $3.99 ream of paper you are punished with a performance counseling session. Never-mind the fact that as a team member, you are dealing with shipping and packing boxes, checking the store e-mail, producing customer jobs on a variety of printers and auxiliary machines, producing e-commerce jobs, answering the phones, and helping customers fax, if you don't force the product of the month on customers, you are a bad team member.

Advice to Management

Make decisions that define who FedEx Office is and what we need to do to make it easy for customers to do business with us. If you just want metrics that can be measured, have them make sense for profitability within the business that we are engaged in every day. Treat team members with the respect that they have earned, not by how many screen cleaners they sell. Come into a center, not the technology lab at corporate, and attempt to use the systems in real life circumstances with real customers. Learn about the digital printing industry and realize that customers shop based on price and service, not on which printer driver the job is run through. Get rid of the Canon printers. Quit raising prices for customers while simultaneously reducing the quality of the products.