FedEx Office - Life at Fedex Office | Glassdoor

"Life at Fedex Office"

Former Employee - Consultant in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Consultant in Memphis, TN

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours and flexible days were the best pros. I have small children and my direct manager was very understanding.

Cons

Working in a compact car which is what they call the smaller locations. A person must work alone on the weekends which can be the busiest times this can be highly frustrating & tiring.

Advice to Management

Close the location on Sundays and place two people on Saturday's.

Other Employee Reviews for FedEx Office

"Understaffing and unreal expectations..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you’re not familiar with printing software and if shipping/inventory is interesting to you it’s a good start for some exposure.

Cons

First off, I want to make it clear in the Boston metro market that each retail store is struggling with understaffing based on my interactions with my previous co-workers and other branch locations. Fedex Office is trying to keep up with up current technologies and shipping methods that rival UPS, the U.S. Postal Service and the company has shown that they are ahead of the pack…therefore with the promising of such stability and profits then why is there such a lack of investment in either 1) having higher numbers in staff to maintain high customer service and high demand printing jobs, or 2) providing higher compensation to the current employees whom have already shown their commitment and worked 6-7 day work weeks without lunch breaks ? To push your employees to go so far with producing “more with less” it is demotivating and bottom-line causes turnover (I left exactly for this reason)

No matter the company’s proposition value on customer service to beat the competition, this cannot be accomplished when in such a busy market as Boston that an understaffed crew can exceed sales and service goals.

I’ll give FedEx credit for providing overall good benefits and areas where retail management is an opportunity, however even for management the frustration of having limited payroll hours and trying to meet unrealistic deadlines for printing jobs is a question of how much longer the employees will tolerate it. Corporate can preach the success of the company and bring down the pressure on management all they want but it doesn’t resolve the fact that employees are overworked and underpaid. This is not a retail job to work in if you have family, need a work/life balance and need to put food on your plate without going broke.

Advice to Management

This is not to store management but to corporate management: I recommend you take a break from your office desk for a day and go to a high traffic branch and go face to face with multiple customers, send a few employees on their lunch breaks and you see how hard it is to deal with unrealistic goals and being in multiple areas of the store at once.

"Not enough pay for the stress."

Current Employee - Team Member in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Team Member in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers including management become like family. Very positive and nice people to work with throughout the company, not only in my center. Decent Benefits including lots of sick and vacation time. Good core companies values. They value your ability to be personable and empathetic to customers. It's difficult to get fired. You can slack off and no-one will care.

Cons

Where do I start? Most importantly, the entire company is basically lazy. They focus on "big picture" corporate standards, numbers, goals, etc. But then sweep everything else under the rug! All the smaller problems (which are what larger problems are made of) that team members deal with throughout their day to day is completely ignored. And when you mention the problems to management, even higher up mgmt, even HR, nothing is done about anything! Everyone wants to "pass the buck" and no-one is held accountable for anything they do wrong. This is great if you just want to slack off and you don't really care about your job. THIS JOB IS PERFECT FOR SLACKERS! But if you're the kind of person who wants to do a good job at work, to figure out ways to make things better, or if it's important to you to do things in a LOGICAL MANNER, then you will hate this company. I have complained about the way things are done so many times and nothing was ever done about it, that I am now basically worn down. The laziness/ lack of accountability finally rubbed off on me. And now when the millions of things that are done wrong happen throughout the day, all I can do is sigh, roll my eyes, and get on with my day. I started out with tons of motivation, ready to be great at my job. But now I hate it! And I haven't even mentioned yet how the customers are the worst customers in ANY industry! And I used to be in food service, not even hungry people are this bad! Basically people who know nothing about technology in general come in and want you to hold their hand through EVERYTHING. Whether it be sending a fax, sending an email from their own email account, designing their flyers from scratch (which we are not even supposed to do cuz that's graphic design and they get paid WAY more than we do), or mailing a package, EVERY customer wants their own personal team member to stand by and do everything for them. And they get angry when you suggest that they use the self service area to do it themselves. I'm sorry but there's no way we can hold each customer's hand for an hour while answering emails and phones, running Jobs, editing ppl's files, cutting stapling and binding booklets, and everything else in between simultaneously with only 3 people behind the counter and a line of people waiting! It's a super-human job that is impossible! Oh and did I mention we get paid the same as any simple retail store. It's just not worth the pay.

Advice to Management

Address smaller problems, not only numbers and goals. Hold people accountable for their actions so the problems can be fixed. Reward team members who are are doing their jobs well so there's a difference for people who are doing it properly versus those doing it poorly! It creates incentive to not be lazy! What a concept! : ) And put more employees on the floor in busy centers so that more customer's' hands can be held.