FedEx Office - District Manager | Glassdoor

"District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, high caliber co workers. Number of locations.

Cons

Micro management; constantly shifting priorities. Managers are task saturated and have little if any time to focus on sales.

Advice to Management

Make the stores easier to run and stop constantly changing.

Other Employee Reviews for FedEx Office

"Taught me how mega-corporations really feel about peons"

Former Employee - Night Shift Production Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Night Shift Production Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good foot in the door for print work
    -Employees were great
    -Lots of opportunity to learn the ins and outs of production/design/retail

Cons

-Management will look for any excuse to write you up
    -Management more obsessed with selling pens/flashdrives/candy than selling print/design
    -Constant threat of being fired/written up/harassed by management
    -Truly the dumbest customer base in the history of retail (clueless about technology, enraged at the slightest problem, think print jobs are instantly created)
    -I was promoted (7 months after being told I would be promoted) only to discover that you cannot be promoted again until 6 months have passed (If I had been promoted when promised, it would not have been a problem)
    -Paid chump change, when one considers it is 8+ hours of nonstop work, work, work.
    -Constantly shifting hours
    -As a night shift employee, expected to clean the entire store, help every customer that walks through the door, AND do the giant pile of jobs left by the day shift to be ready in the morning.
    -Called constantly by the day shift during my time off about jobs (waking me up, my sleep schedule was non existent those 2 years)
    -Management limits the number of hirings a district can have, to the point that it does not keep up with (abnormally high) turnover

Advice to Management

Maybe not be so obsessed with sales of pens/flash drives/candy; who cares about a $1 profit margin on those items when you're dealing with multi-thousand dollar print jobs?

Maybe not treat your underpaid, overworked, highly trained employees as little more than burger flippers? I've never been so disrespected in my life than by the management (both middle and upper.)

It honestly felt like I was living in some sort of Kafka-esque, absurd Catch 22 fantasy world where everything you did was scrutinized, and there was no form of positive reinforcement.

On my 1 year anniversary, I received a "certificate" of appreciation. You know what would have been more effective for my morale than a useless piece of paper? The promotion and pay raise I had been promised 5 months earlier.

"Micro-managed until you burn out"

Current Employee - Senior Center Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Center Manager

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upward mobility as long as you are willing to re-locate.

Cons

Too many to list. Managers are constantly given completely differing goals on a monthly basis, then micro-managed to the point of exhaustion. It's painfully obvious that upper management (District Managers, Managing Directors, and above) do not care at all about their employees. Upper management operates on a "just write them up" mentality. Managers are so task-saturated that there is simply not enough time in a day to complete all of them AND take care of customers. Salaried managers are "expected" to work 60-70 hours per week.

Advice to Management

Every center is completely different, with a completely different customer base, and all require completely different ways of handling them. You cannot staff your field offices on a "number of transactions per hour" model...it simply does not work that way. Read the Climate Survey...the team members reply to them with real concerns, you should listen to them. I've heard upper management say that this is one of the hardest retail management jobs in the country, yet they keep adding more and more work until the point of breaking. I know of MANY long-tenured managers who have either quit because they were fed up with how they were treated, or are actively looking for other employment.