FedEx Office - Worse than you can imagine! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FedEx Office

"Worse than you can imagine!"

Current Employee - Lead Project Coordinator in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Lead Project Coordinator in Washington, DC

Pros

It's better than being unemployed and even part-time employees can get benefits.

Cons

FedEx Office promises customers things (and forces employees to promise things - employees are not allowed to say no to something they know they can't do) that can't be delivered, and then don't provide enough staff or good working equipment to succeed at what they promise. Consequently, everyone always has to work harder than they should and while under enormous pressure - not to mention having to apologize to customers about a dozen times a day.

FedEx Corporate gives individual stores arbitrary "plan" numbers to meet every month and all of the individual managers (being former employees who failed to get a better job for a long enough time that they became managers) think they can meet this "plan" by cutting payroll, not realizing that, as a consequence, customers then have to stand on line all the time and receive their print jobs incorrect and late. Most center managers know how to sweep problems under the rug and juke the stats so upper management doesn't know the real done late/done wrong record of these stores.

The customers are another thing: You can't imagine how much bullying FedEx Office employees have to suffer from mean, arrogant, self-important customers who tell you you're going to do what they want NOW. People must think FedEx Office employees are the lowest life form on the planet because someone could be the assistant to the assistant to the assistant or someone nobody's ever heard of, and when they walk into a FedEx Office, they take on this bully attitude and treat the people who work there like utter crap.

The only reason to work for FedEx Office is if you are unemployed. It's a step-down from almost anything else.

Advice to Management

You should have never gone into the "printing" business. It's clear nobody in senior management knows anything about printing, because if they did, they would never put someone in a position where they're trying to focus on "prepress" work while someone is standing eight feet away yelling, "Excuse me! Can I have some help over here!"

Stick to shipping.

Other Employee Reviews for FedEx Office

"FedEx Office: An American Business Dying of a Thousand Paper Cuts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The corporate office of FedEx Office employs many truly dedicated team members who often go above and beyond to try to make the business successful.

Cons

Unfortunately, the core quick copying/printing industry has largely moved from a mature industry to one in decline. The company constantly struggles to find the next product or service to make up for this loss, but almost always without success. To make a difficult situation even more tenuous, senior management has a track record of of rushing to market products and services that aren't quite ready for either customers to buy or the store team members to provide. So even those products and services that had a decent chance of being successful often fall short due to the rush to market.

Advice to Management

A more thoughtfully considered approach to new products and services instead of one that resembles "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" might be helpful. Then maybe FedEx Office could streamline its product offering, reduce the stress on its overburdened store team members, and as a result deliver a higher quality, higher profit product or service.

"I suppose it depends on your managers.."

Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The benefits are top notch, and starting pay is more than decent for the job (I came from a background in retail management, in New York no less, I'm kicking myself because I'm starting off with a better wage having less responsibilities). My managers and coworkers are great, and I believe it's due partly to the Store Manager taking the time to select quality employees whose personalities blend well (and with how many people are looking for jobs right now, that says a lot).

Cons

Yes, the economy got hit hard, therefore promotions and raises are being scrutinized more than ever, but running a successful company bears the responsibility of ultimately doing the greatest good for the business. And yes, customers can be difficult, but that's retail! I seriously challenge anyone to step up and honestly say they've never been somewhat of a jerk to an employee because expectations weren't met, or you were just having a bad day. It happens, and if you can't deal with it, look for another line of work. Retail isn't for everyone, but for me, being on my feet and running around all day sure makes the day go by a lot faster than being chained to a desk.

Advice to Management

For any company, my advice would be to look at the most successful stores with the lowest turnover rates, and ask them specifically why they're doing such a great job. Corporations can sometimes lose select stores in the shuffle, and rely solely on printouts and forecasting on deciding what policies should be adjusted.