FedEx - Overall, working with the IT group was a miserable experience. Company overall is very good. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FedEx

"Overall, working with the IT group was a miserable experience. Company overall is very good."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Quality Analyst in Collierville, TN
Former Employee - Senior Technical Quality Analyst in Collierville, TN

I worked at FedEx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company overall is very generous. Benefits were great. Everyone I worked for was great and very helpful. Company has a great reputation both inside and outside

Cons

The department I worked for under the IT group (specifically the QA Department) was less than desirable. Uncertainty on my job role & function, micromanaging and the inability to move out from under the SVP made life miserable. I was hired in by a manager who was new and didn't know what his role was nor did he know exactly what my role was. The result was a 'sink or swim' environment that resulted in being in survival mode in the world of a monster company. I will never forget what it means to be in 'the belly of the beast' working for this company.

Advice to Management

For the IT department (specifically the QA Department): Stop micromanaging every squeak and turn of your people. Allow for flexibility & creativity. Have clear and concise job roles and how to ascend (Associate -> Senior -> Principle).

Other Employee Reviews for FedEx

1. "working at fedex"

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst Adv in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst Adv in Dallas, TX

I have been working at FedEx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the benefits at Fedex are second to none. the hours are very good also.

Cons

not many down sides. the main one would be most of the senior jobs are in memphis.

2. "Solid company- they expect you to want to build a career there."

I worked at FedEx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability- you won't make a mint but you can be pretty certain if you do your job you will continue to have one. Good organizational culture with a sense of humor. There are some people

Cons

Lots of internal barriers to promotion and movement- some cultural some legal. Things take time, and it can be difficult to see results from your work in the short term.

Advice to Management

Work on building more flexibility and options into career tracks- there will be a rash of retirements at about the same time in senior management and the bench strength must be improved.