FedEx - I loved the job except numbers were more important that customer service. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FedEx

"I loved the job except numbers were more important that customer service."

Former Employee - Courier in Pineville, NC
Former Employee - Courier in Pineville, NC

I worked at FedEx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can interact with different people everyday. You are in your own truck all day without supervision most of the time. You get a good workout while you work. Time passes quickly because your always running to meet deadlines. I never got bored because your too busy. I got satisfaction by helping my customers. Pay and benefits were excellent.

Cons

There is too much micro management while your in the station unloading and loading the freight. We were pressures do always do more with less people. Too much paperwork and goal to meet in numbers on paper. Getting 100% wasnt good enough. Get written up for the smallest thing. They had unreasonable expectations with delivery and pickup stops per hour. without considering traffic or distance between stops. Had to work over 12 hours a day but managment expected you to only put down 12 hours and not be paid because DOT laws. Always had to work 10 to 12 hours without any break just to meet their unrealistic goals. I was told to loose customers who were filling my truck up with freight and to replace them with 10 customers shipping 1 package because it made the managers numbers look better and they got bigger bonuses. They would promise us big bonuses to get us to work harder and faster and work thru breaks and on our own time but when the time came would make some excuse why the company couldn't pay it. They thought we should just be thankful to have the jib because other people don't, But the managers would get 12,000 bonuses for our hard work. If you got hurt they were out to get rid of you because they could lose some of their monthly bonuses. Managers showed too much favortism.

Advice to Management

Start caring more about the employees who are hurting their backs, knees, necks etc just to make you look good and just so you can get your big bonus checks. Start going back to Fred Smiths ideas of customer service. Not just numbers. You are running one of the best companies ever built from nothing into the ground. And their hardworking dedicated employees and replacing them with people who don't give a crap about the customers or the company.

Other Employee Reviews for FedEx

1. "Outstanding!"

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at FedEx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People First Culture
    Customer Experience Driven Management
    Brand stregth
    Superior service quality with high standards
    Promotes team work and innovation

Cons

Too political at times, and cycle time for new service introduction is length

Advice to Management

FedEx is an amazing company that should maintain it is people focus and excellent service quality

2. "Great job but not a career"

Former Employee - Package Handler in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Package Handler in Reno, NV

I worked at FedEx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay for a college student. Full benefits even for part time employes. School incentive programs. Availability to move up in the company. Availability to move around the US within the company. Paid vacation.

Cons

Lots of promotions are based on seniority rather than who is the best candidate. Can be very unorganized at times. Met my ex-girlfriend there.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the handlers and drivers have to say.