FedEx - Safe and secure in a job I adore | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FedEx

"Safe and secure in a job I adore"

Current Employee - Engineer in Memphis, TN
Current Employee - Engineer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at FedEx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

FedEx is true to the work-life balance methodology. They support all decisions based on family because they realize family comes first. As long as your work is getting done in a reasonable time frame, no request is unreasonable.

Cons

As with all salaried positions, sometimes it is required to work longer hours every now and then, taking home your laptop to work from home at night or on the weekends.

Other Employee Reviews for FedEx

1. "Good Company but very slow growth as a technology company"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Collierville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Collierville, TN

I have been working at FedEx full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work if you like work life balance. The benefits used to be great many years ago, but its not too bad now either. The salaries are very standard. They pay enough for the kind of jobs they have. If you are a software engineer who has enough skills to get by programming languages, understand a few design patterns, have basic knowledge of software engineering and prefer a laid back work environment, so you can have enough time for family this is the place to be.

Cons

If you are highly innovative and spirited as an engineer, this place is a total letdown. FedEx is a transporation based company, not a technology company. Their ideas in innovation are still dated and go real slow in releasing the latest and greatest of products. Their business model is highly process based, even though some departments take pride of releasing new products as services to existing customers. Just as any large company, FedEx also has a lot of red tape and bureaucracy. If you work in the company for a long time, you will be in the dangerous zone of letting your skills become obsolete or unused. You have to make an effort on your own to stay up to date with the industry.

Advice to Management

Management in FedEx is not very different from any other big company's management team. It has its strengths and weaknesses. My only advice is to find areas to innovate and think outside the box.

"You can learn a great deal & work with great people but don't expect a decent raise or high pay based on job performance"

Current Employee - Customer Service, Customs Brokerage in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service, Customs Brokerage in Seattle, WA

I have been working at FedEx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you push to learn a lot, you will be given the opportunity to learn a lot. You will work with other very professional and dedicated people in a very complex industry. You will receive public recognition for a job well done. Good benefits, retirement and health care package. They actually do a pension plan and most companies don't anymore. You can move around within the company in different roles if you want to. They are rapidly growing and are at the forefront of technology used with US CBP. This attracts big companies that do international business to desire a working relationship with Fedex Trade Networks leading to increased business opportunities.

Cons

Just because you learn a lot, or are extremely good at your job doesn't mean you will get a pay increase. You can be awesome at your job, do a ton of work and be extremely productive and the person next to you can be lazy and unproductive, you will both be paid the same. Even though you receive public recognition for achievements, that doesn't result in better pay or bonuses. Several years ago Fedex Trade Networks did this but now they do not anymore due to their goal of ORGANIC growth. I.E. encourage hard work in employees, pay them low wages, grow the company and pad corporate executives pockets with bonuses and stock options. The benefits are great but the pay won't help you pay down school debt any faster. Moving around within the company doesn't guarantee salary increases, just more work.

Advice to Management

When employees work their tails off we don't care about a pat on the back, show us the money and give us more than a 1-2 % raise each year. Seriously... What is this management can't give top scores policy? Why can't management in operations give top scores to employees? Then people who are their own bosses within the company give themselves all top scores and get 10-15% raises every single year. I'm not making this up because a manager actually told me this is the policy, actually multiple managers did. Really?