FedEx - Looking For A Sales Career~Do Not Work Here | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FedEx

"Looking For A Sales Career~Do Not Work Here"

Current Employee - Field Account Executive in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Field Account Executive in Tampa, FL

Pros

Unfortunately, FedEx has changed a great deal over the course of the last several years. Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros. If you are thinking that it is a blessing to have a job in this tight economy maybe you will look at the pros. A sales career is not an ideal position for any college graduate looking to advance with this corporation. Let's look at the pros of a sales career at FedEx.

1) Flexiability - but this is true of sales professions at many corporations across America.

2) Stability- If you work for FedEx in a sales role (like UPS), it is highly unlikely that you will be laid-off. Sales people are revenue driving force in the organization. FedEx and UPS (I have worked for both) recognize this; therefore, it is unlikely you will lose your job due to the economy.

3) Overall, FedEx has a good insurance package. The dental is not competitive. You can purchase a better dental insurance package from an outside company that offers a better plan and the same cost or a little less.

4) FedEx is one of the few companies offers their employees a pension. The organization is reinstating the 401K match. It was suspended during the recession.

5) FedEx does not like to lay-off employees. Unfortunately, the economy has caused some lay-offs. However, FedEx does so when the organization has no other option. Compared to many companies, layoffs have been very low during the recession. In this respect, FedEx does care about their employees.

Cons

Working as a field Account Executive at FedEx is a low-paying thank less job. The salary would be fair if you were working a 40-45 hour a week job. If you are going to be an effective sales person by hitting your numbers and closing new business, you will work long hours. This might not be a problem if you are compensated for your efforts.

Also, the job does not really require that an individual work as long if management allowed their employees to manage their time effectively to get the tasks completed to get new packages “on the belt.” There is a lot of administrative work. The FedEx internal systems are low and outdated. If the sales employees were hourly, I am certain that the organization would work on streamlining many of their internal processes to save their employees time and to make the job easier.

FedEx does not believe that their sales people are intelligent individuals who can make business decisions. This can be seen by how they manage their people. Your focus is not just sales. You are the customer service person for every account in your territory even for account that you do not receive commission for… FedEx has the practice of giving the Sales Executive cell phone to everyone… Any person who finds your card will be calling you. It was ridiculous. The list of problems with this position goes on and on.

If you want to have a life outside of FedEx, do not apply here. If you want to spend time with your family, do not apply here. If you want to spend your evenings watching television while working on FedEx pricing contracts or responding to e-mails almost every night of the week, then this is the JOB for you.

I do not mind hard work. I was an effective sales person… BUT PAY ME FOR MY EDUCATION, PROFESSIONALISM, TIME AND EFFORT! This is truly the JOB from HELL! For those you read this post, I was not a poor performer. I always had good reviews and brought on large accounts. I attempted to give this company my best during the time I was employed there and make the best of a BAD situation until a new door opened. It is not worst it!

In addition, to all of these problems, the promotion process is nearly impossible within sales department. As an account executive, you can only be promoted to a sales executive (which is the same position with a new title). Your pay increases significantly, but the requirements change almost yearly and the company makes it almost impossible to get promoted. There are a very limited number of corporate and worldwide account manager positions. People who have those positions rarely resign or quit. When one becomes available everyone is trying… promotion regardless of work ethic is nearly impossible. UPS promotes their people fairly; FedEx does not. I have worked for both… At UPS, I was respected and treated like the educated individual that I am. At FedEx, I was a robot without a brain.

Advice to Management

My advice to regional directors of field account and sales executives... Listen to your employees. Most the regional director have not worked as the field AE. You really need to get an understanding of what is happening at the field level. This is not a cookie-cutter job and you cannot effectively manage your people like it is one.

If the economy were better, I know that many of your employees would be gone. Many people are merely tolerating this situation while praying for another door to open. You will continue to lose your talent because you fail to respect your people and believe that they are intelligent individuals who can do the job! You lost a good one here. I will an asset for another organization.

Other Employee Reviews for FedEx

"Straight out of Dilbert"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Collierville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Collierville, TN

Pros

You're rarely expected to work long hours, unless something blows up.
    Fairly competitive salaries in an inexpensive location.
    Keep your head down and your mouth shut and you'll likely stay employed, unless you just happen to be selected in the next layoff lottery.
    Great place to work if you're female or a minority; corporate policies are very vigilant about discrimination due to race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Cons

Morale is pretty bad these days, given recent layoffs (which seemed pretty random) and last year's pay cuts. Lots of corporate Rah! Rah! marketing programs, emails, posters which for most of us actually are very counter-productive. For the 12th time in 13 years FedEx was voted in Forbes' Top 100 Places to Work. The primary reason given that FedEx is so fantastic: this year we get back half of the 401K match they took away with our pay cuts last year. They had just beefed up the match the year before to compensate us for ditching the pension!

Depending on where you work, you may be plagued with endless meetings. Very often meetings are held not to get input from participants but to disseminate information that could be easily distributed with an email.

There is little room for advancement, in particular technical advancement. The Advisor positions which were created years back might have been used for a more advanced technical position, at least in technical groups, but they are primarily political in nature. Every 'Principal' position - the highest level non-management job - was filled by the buddy system, which is rampant in my particular org.

There is a bit of a hivemind here, and individual thinkers are unlikely to prosper. Incompetent and toeing the party line will get you farther than making waves for improvement. Mediocrity is rewarded, while innovative thinking is a crapshoot.

There are way too many corporate initiatives, and the company is forever paying some consulting firm gadzillions of dollars to recommend one or the other course of action, but we rarely have follow-through. It keeps these initiatives from doing any real harm, but it wastes a lot of resources along the way.

Advice to Management

Having a lean year? Maybe cut out some of the major sports sponsorships, the glossy mailings, paying the big consulting firms, executive deferred compensation and stock options, etc instead of employee layoffs and pay cuts.

FedEx's longtime People-Service-Profit philosophy is now a double-edged sword. There are still many employees who worked under that mutual-loyalty way of doing business. Fred Smith is a beloved figure to most of those who worked under him precisely because of that PSP ethic. You're throwing it out the window, and as a result you've seen much worse morale.

How about just getting some working automation software out the door? If you need to have a year to fix the bugs and get it right, then stop scheduling enhancement releases and fix it.

2. "I loved this company and should have never left"

Former Employee - Manager Administrative in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Manager Administrative in Jamaica, NY

Pros

Amazing company with direct and indirect benefits. I planned on having a job for life but then things changed. If time reversal were possible, I'd still be there. The grass is not always greener on the other side!

Cons

Outside of headquarters opportunities are limited but if you are in Memphis, you are all set for life.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I enjoyed get Bravo Zulo's- I felt it was a great incentive and I knew that getting it meant something.