Fellowes Brands - Excellent place to grow and be appreciated for honest work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fellowes Brands

"Excellent place to grow and be appreciated for honest work."

Former Employee - Customer Alliance Manager in Itasca, IL
Former Employee - Customer Alliance Manager in Itasca, IL

I worked at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company culture, values and mindset for continuous improvement.

Cons

Staffing reorganiztion efforts can occur frequently.

Advice to Management

Understand how bringing in new talent can upset existing culture.

Other Employee Reviews for Fellowes Brands

"So much wasted potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The regular people in the company are universally some of the best I have ever worked with and are a delight to interact with every day. The new first floor remodel is inspiring and the next phase has everyone excited.

Cons

The leadership of the organization, with a few exceptions, is so out of touch with the reality of the work that is needed and the work that is actually getting done, that poor decisions are made every day. The office environment is the most political and toxic environment I have ever worked in and results in employees so busy needing to CYI that other things go undone. No one under a director is ever consulted on decisions and any key decision is done by the Ivory Tower Executive Team and most of the time lacks the needed information to actually make a decision that makes sense. Those bad decisions then will result in confusion, extra work and mistakes further adding to the need for CYI because when things go wrong someone has to be blamed. The executives who made the decisions in isolation only care if it is complete - not if the work is actually correct, right or logical because how could they ever be wrong (Domeo)? They have to protect their gravy train so when things go bad the witch hunts begin and ultimately someone that spoke the truth or called to light a problem during the project gets fired. The T-Day group and especially the Ivory Tower are all amazingly immune to any accountability when their ideas go wrong.

Then there is no one to turn to for help when you are being mistreated. With the exception of the new Employee Relations Manager who genuinely seems to care about us but can't get anyone to listen, the entire Human Resources, safety and security (trying to say that with a straight face) departments are universally viewed as absent at best and most days just a useless joke. They care more about how to take my salary back with the charity programs we are forced to hear about and contribute to all year long than they care about doing anything to benefit to the employees. What happened to charity begins at home? How about you start by paying a competitive salary instead of giving everything away to strangers! We are tired of hearing about GIVE and China – enough already!

With each passing day the embarrassment at what we have posted as our "core values" grows more glaring. What once was a good place to work is now just a place to get a check until something else comes along.

Advice to Management

Listen for a change. Note to just the words we say but to what we are actually trying to tell you. Then, it would be nice to see an actual reaction and result from ANY of the feedback you ask for. HR sends out surveys, collects data and reports on the summary but there is nothing beyond that, no resulting action. Also let us make some of the decisions. Most of us are actually good at what we do and are not allowed to really do what we are capable of because of micromanagement. It is time to wake up and listen before it is too late. How many more good people have to quit before you recognize the problem?

"Good place to work overall--just not in the IT department"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Itasca, IL

I worked at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This privately held, family-run business has a fairly good community. The people there are friendly, and the overall atmosphere is positive. The owner of the company went out of his way to get to know you and always called me by name--even though we rarely interacted, he still remembered my name.

Cons

The IT department is very poorly run. The morale in the department is very low and the atmosphere is very acidic. The IT department is treated as a cost center rather than as a strategic partner that can help move the business forward. I had hopes that the new CIO would be able to make some positive changes; however, the culture has not improved with the new management.

Advice to Management

Look for replacements for some of the IT department top management and start fresh. The IT leadership needs to be more proactive rather than reactive and use its resources to move the business forward rather than just stay the course.