FibroGen - It was a good place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FibroGen

"It was a good place to work"

Pros

Location and facility was excellent, people were open, welcoming, work was just challenging enough

Cons

a number of levels of review, bogging down the process to work efficiently at times

Advice to Management

empower more people, one person can't do it all

Other Employee Reviews for FibroGen

1. "A great place to work if you are willing to roll up your sleeves"

Current Employee - Long Time Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Long Time Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with FibroGen for a very long time. I am a huge fan of this company. It has been very good to me and has given me the opportunity to grow professionally in a way most other places wouldn't.

FibroGen is a very exciting place to work right now. The clinical science looks promising - FibroGen is conducting clinical studies on a global basis evaluating drugs to treat anemia, cancer and different fibrotic diseases. Hopefully, we'll be filing a New Drug Application is a couple of years.

FibroGen has been establishing a subsidiary in China and running clinical studies in that Country. For both the US and China staff, it has been exciting and educational working in and with China setting up all aspects of the subsidiary and working through the logistics of clinical studies in that country.

The compensation at FibroGen is competitive and diversified (salary, bonus, stock options, RSU plan, ESPP, matching 401K). Your hard work is rewarded. But be prepared to work hard.

Overall, the FibroGen team is well qualified, creative, intense, and hard working. There are opportunities to grow at FibroGen, for your voice to be heard, and for you to be creative. There are also plenty of opportunities to learn.

Great location. Right across the street from UCSF medical school. One side of our building looks onto the bay - stunning views. The Mission Bay neighborhood is developing - restaurants, wine bars, gourmet food trucks all within walking distance. The health club in our building is good, and UCSF has a full health club with a pool just across the street. It is a beautiful walk/run from FibroGen to the Ferry Building.

Cons

FibroGen employees can be intense and clashes occasionally occur. Upper management does not appear overly concerned with this. It's not a huge problem, but clashes do occur.

Upper management does not delegate very well. This has improved somewhat over the years, but still poses a challenge for our management. This lack of delegation sometimes causes delays and when an overdue decision is finally made staff needs to needlessly rush to meet a timeline.

Workload can be heavy at times, and FibroGen is somewhat understaffed. If you are hard working, motivated, and can deal with an occasional frustration, you'll be fine.

It is sometimes difficult to get updates on company goals and progress due to poor internal corporate communications.

Advice to Management

Keep up the exciting work toward developing therapeutics that will one day hopefully help people with anemia, cancer, fibrosis, and an array of other diseases.

Keep hiring knowledgeable and skillful staff.

Keep up the great work with benefits and compensation.

Pay more attention to work place environment and encourage a team approach to problems.

Provide personnel training to managers.

Organize better, delegate, trust your employees. FibroGen has a great staff. We know what we're doing.

Provide effective corporate communication to employees regarding company progress and goals.

2. "FibroGen is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

FibroGen is a great company that allows individuals to use a wide breadth of skills while learning additional skills not typically available in larger companies. It is a very dynamic and fast-paced company with a focus success and work-life balance. The Mission Bay provides a wonderful work place setting in San Francisco.

Cons

I cannot think of any Cons.

Advice to Management

Every company has room for improvement. It is always key to keep a finger on the pulse and be proactive rather than reactionary. Continuous training of personnel will keep FibroGen competitive for the future.