Fidelity Investments - A Company in transistion | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

"A Company in transistion"

Former Intern - Technical Intern in Boston, MA
Former Intern - Technical Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Fidelity Investments as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Pays pretty well for summer internship, hours are pretty relaxed

Cons

TOO many meetings. Very bureaucratic, working in IT felt like working for Initech. Obvious that they only care about bottom line as they were making take it or leave it offers to people to move to NC or RI because Boston was closing.

Advice to Management

Stop the mantra that it is a great place to work, never felt like people genuinely meant it.

Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments

"Elephants cannot survive off peanuts; and yes, they count them often."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mobility and other opportunities abound if you are patient. Good name within the industry and loyal client base. Great inexpensive investment lineup.

Cons

Corporate politics abound here. To move up carry toilet paper around often to wipe your nose. They only want to hear the truth if its what they want to hear. You can be #1 in sales but if you dont further their agenda you will stall your career. Micro management is well over the top. Worst I have ever encountered. The compensation is extremely weak (My gross income here is what I used to pay in taxes at my other jobs and I am in the top 20 people out of 300 in the nation for 2 years running) Great place to get hired if you are desperate or looking for a stepping stone but will never be long term. They are short term focused but always talk about the long term. Do not let this fool you! Middle management and some mkt mgrs truly have no clue how to manage. They are failed sales people with brown crust on their noses that micro manage and have little to zero outside experience ( this is their only real job since college). The work and dealing with clients is ok as the Fido client is a cheapskate and know-it-all. It takes time to build trust, realtionships and for the client to self discover they need your/Fido help. Management wants you to slam them into products today. A "what have you done for me today" mentality. If your response is "built a deeper relationship
    based on trust and confidence" the branch mgr will look at you like a cyborg and keep repeating "that does not calculate" until his brain starts to smoke. Corp vision is a lie. They say they want to retain top talent and build long term relationships. Look at their actions. It is a lie. 5 top Senior Accountt execs left in the last 12 months. Everyone of them were threatened on the way out by their mgr rather than spoken to for retention measures. If this were a public company I would buy a put 3 years in the future so i could put it to someone I hated and make a killing from their lose. It is a truly broken system and the mend is at minmum 5 years away. Possibly a decade. Lastly, once you do sell something you have to track it and a third of the time sent up exception as they are not crediting it to you but atbthe same time will be delivering you an oral warning of termination for low production which they will not rescind once its credited and also become part of your HR file. It is purely about power, fear and control at this place. It is only for the weak and timid not top talent.

Advice to Management

You have great talent working for you now. Pay them. Treat them like the pros they are and pay them to retain them. Your attitude toward your S/AE's is reflected by your TOA ratio- yes your clients are leaving in droves because they smell it. If you cared about the client you would not make them endure a dozen S/AE changes over a decade. They are sick of seeing quality talent leave so they go to Vanguard etc. You can dictate to your senior account execs to make 25 dials a day. That does not create a place we want to work and your elementary approach to mgmt focusing on activity drives great talent away. You hired us because of our proven success then we get here and you want us to change what and how we are that made us top salespeople. Because you have the wrong mgmt in places ( braches and market mgr- especially the southeast) does not mean your bean counting micro mgmt will work. Good luck. You will need it. I am one of many in the top that are leaving. Call me when you mature enough to recognize talent and will remunerate me for my skills. Elephants like me will eat the peanut trail but once we realize the trail is a neverending circle with no real food at the end, we leave. Another top 2% SAE leaving. When are you gonna self discover? Maybe management should be trained on CSS.............

2. "not so bad"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great environment to work in with good benefits. Management is willing to hear your opinions and help you enjoy working or them. I like their corporate perks and their discount of car insurance and corporate perks.

Cons

the constant "strategic relocation" since this started to happen i have seen many team members leave the team due to location. Team members leave and the work load increases and it starts to get hard to balance your work life and social life.

Advice to Management

management needs to be more flexible on schedule in order to allow a balance between work and off-work life