Fidelity Investments - Interesting | Glassdoor

"Interesting"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Durham, NC
Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Fidelity Investments as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice benefits for permanent employees, interesting technologies

Cons

Some of the managers lack experience, lots of legacy code.

Advice to Management

I think they would benefit by improving their process for keeping up with technology. They touch the same code over and over without moving to newer technology and methods

Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments

1. "Great in some areas, lacking in others"

Former Employee - 529 College Planning Specialist in American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - 529 College Planning Specialist in American Fork, UT

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall good benefits package: medical, dental, retirement. Medical insurance tends to be on expensive side, but coverage was good as well. Retirement benefits are awesome once you actually vest and are eligible for a match.

Cons

Work environment was lacking. Vacation days (15/year) were okay, but definitely not enough to reward for the amount of work and stress for employees. Amount of sick days (6/year) was absolutely horrendous. A family of 4, like my own, could eat up that amount of time in a matter of months, and I didn't even try to abuse the system.

The area most lacking was employee appreciation. They attempt to appreciate by focusing on some areas (i.e. generous retirement package, perq points, team competitions), but overall falls very short.

The perq points are based on performance during quarterly competitions. I exceeded goals every competition, but received no more than equivalent of $60 each time. Those who didn't really try and wouldn't meet performance goals would still get about $40 each time.

My team won about half of the site competitions among teams. We were a very good team. However, the rewards (usually a increase in budget based on head count) would get paid out months after the fact. When it actually did get paid out, for some reason we never seemed to have enough money to do anything fun anyway. Something was amiss in the entire process. Maybe it falls on our manager, maybe the site management. I don't know.

In my 529 college planning specialty role, recently more and more tasks were being added to our plate. It was as if they were using 529 was "Fidelity Special Forces." We took on the Canadian Remediation in the summer of 2012, started backing up PAS with their overflow toward the end of 2012, and gradually took more and more general service overflow. When I arrived, 529 had a seasonal workload where it was very heavy during some times of the year, and a little lighter at other times. When I left, we were constantly "lit" (meaning calls waiting to get through to us). Most calls we received were general service or something other than 529 calls. The 529 customers were being neglected because we couldn't provide them service in time.

The increased workload would have been fine by me if they would have done a few things:
    1. Inform us in advance of how, why, and when the workload is increasing.
    2. Provide an increase in compensation (or bonuses or something) since we were not originally hired to do the increased work.
    3. Hire more employees to do the peon work of general service. Since they worked us a lot of overtime, you would think that it wouldn't cost as much to hire another employee with a lower salary than to pay me at time-and-a-half with my higher salary.

My last point of review on what was lacking at Fidelity is the career opportunities. Ultimately, EVERYONE needs to go the sales route to accomplish anything. All career paths on the service side reach dead-ends very quickly so employees are stuck with low salaries. My being a non-sales type of person, I realized very quickly that I needed to jump ship. Thankfully, I had the opportunity to take a job I had been wanting to do for a long time. I didn't even blink before I accepted the offer.

Advice to Management

Improve employee work-life balance
    Provide higher compensation in general, but especially for extra tasks taken on
    Increase workforce - don't work your current employees into the ground

2. "Great Company but with a few pitfalls"

Former Employee - Designer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fidelity offers a professional environment with lots of competitive and smart folks to work with and gain exposure to all facets of the financial industry. The ability to transfer to different positions is there as well if you seek out the opportunities. Compensation is good but limited to growth due to the bi-annual reviews. Fidelity operates like clockwork on release cycles, so focusing on getting things done by the end of the year is key and learning how to get the impossible done is the biggest thing you'll learn here.

Cons

Although Fidelity offers many oportunties, it is a large organization with lots of overhead. You'll find yourself on projects on lots of meetings with many project managers, VP's or directors each with almost equal amount of say on the project. Consensus building becomes key and learning how to win over folks on your idea becomes an important skill to learn. Politics is also huge at Fidelity, so learning how to work with others and learning to see pitfalls are the skills you up need to develop. Fidelity is a large ship and wanting to implement revolutionary ideas will be an uphill battle.

Advice to Management

Fidelity is a great place but found that most managers on the "business side" had unrealistic expectations on developing projects in terms of what could be built with the given amount of resources.