Fidelity Investments - Short sighted | Glassdoor

"Short sighted"

Former Employee - Director in Smithfield, RI
Former Employee - Director in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent talented people. Great benefits and training opportunities. Good company to start your career with.

Cons

Company has frequent RIFs just small enough to not attract media attention. New England is not strategic unless your company is headquartered here. Dedication and loyalty are not rewarded. Paltry merit increases.

Advice to Management

Need to do longer range planning. It's time to invest in your people and rebuild your SME.

Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments

1. "Great starter company"

Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Westlake, TX

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits Package
    Training
    Starter company. Once you get training and experience look elsewhere for promotions

Cons

Compensation is fairly low so start here get trained and move on.
    Employee development
    Most moves in the company are lateral in pay.
    No room for growth
    Culture has been tainted in recent years. Everyone is out for self.

Advice to Management

Create accountability in middle management. Train qualified managers.

2. "Very corporate culture, great benefits and pay, lots of bloat"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent 401K matching, but you're not fully vested until you hit your five years. Very good pay and benefits.

Culture depends on the division you're in -- I used to work in Strategic Advisers, Inc. (later rolled up into Asset Allocation) and the majority of the people that I worked with in that group were incredibly nice and smart. I'd heard not-so-great things about some of the other divisions at Fidelity, though, so I counted myself fortunate. Compared to the other floors in my building (245 Summer St), my floor was relatively casual and the floor plan was more open -- large half-cubes instead of the cube farms at the Smithfield, RI campus. Because I worked on a floor with portfolio managers and other members of investment management, we also got nicer drinks in the fridge.

I also had a very kind and nurturing manager and a good team.

Cons

Even within the division that I worked in, there were a few deadweights -- people who had made it to middle management after being at the company for 15+ years and were really just complacent and there for the paycheck. Those people were always a drag to work with; fortunately, I was able to minimize my dealings with them and usually partnered with the research and investment teams, who were filled with smart, driven people.

One other con was that it IS a big corporation, so change does come fairly slowly, and there are constant re-orgs and re-branding initiatives, which can get a bit difficult to keep track of. It can also be hard to get things done in an efficient manner because there are always a million stakeholders on each project.