Fidelity Investments - Great company to work for.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

"Great company to work for...."

Former Employee - Institutional Operations Specialist in Smithfield, NC
Former Employee - Institutional Operations Specialist in Smithfield, NC

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, the internal and external clients, the friendly atmosphere

Cons

lack of work-life balance, lack of developmental plan for employees

Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments

1. "Design lead"

Current Employee - Design Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Design Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fidelity is a great place to learn how to be effective in a huge organization. When I worked there, the company was eager to show off its design group--we were allowed to wear jeans every day and had very cool hexagonal cubes, because the company wanted to showcase the fact that creative people worked at a financial institution. There was also a full usability lab, which is rarity in any industry.

Cons

It was really easy for people to do very little work. Inefficiency was literally built into the design review process; I had to run every finished design by a designer--a Fidelity veteran, natch--who might have half my skill level, despite their years of experience. I left because I knew that I wouldn't learn anything there, and my skills would inevitably get stale in an environment that lacked innovation. The management was just getting excited about Flash at the time, at the moment when the industry was moving toward abandoning it! Additionally, diversity was a problem. Fidelity had very few non-white/non-Indian people, at the time, and I don't think anything has changed. One buffoon of a manager (white) thought it was hilarious to spout "ebonics" at every opportunity. It was cringe-making, at the very least.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what's going on in web design outside the financial industry. Fire people who are using the system to facilitate their own laziness. Stop feeding every tiny project through a multi-week design review process. Get efficient!

2. "Roller coaster"

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, severance package. Committed to continuous improvement. Invests in improvements, particularly technology.

Cons

Does not hire the most talented, let's mediocre players stay for 10-15 years. Mediocrity begets mediocrity. Conducts disruptive purges when strategic priorities change. Cross-functional collaboration is fraught personal animosities.

Advice to Management

The chairman's influence will eventually wane. More than one voice will be required for the future.